Advertising On Grocery Receipt Tape

Anyone tried doing this to generate clients? I was wondering if it was an effective marketing option? I am thinking of doing it because I actually look at all those ads on the back of receipt tape and have even given business to some of those merchants who advertise.

Thanks in advance!

TVChild,

How many new prospects for life insurance did you meet with last week? How many calls did you make? How many businesses did you walk into? Unless you already have a packed schedule, I would focus on the basics first. If you do have a packed schedule, you'll proably want to stay with the basics.

FT

FT, is that your roundabout way of saying, "don't waste your money and quit being lazy"?

Full Throttle,

I believe my marketing so far has been great! I'm always looking for new innovative ideas to help people know who I am and that I own a business. How are people supposed to know that I'm open for business if they don't even know I exist. Believe me, I am by no means looking at this to be a way to work less. I see it as a way to work (marketing) 24 hours a day without having to work 24 hours a day. Your thinking is totally out of line. Look at businesses who advertise on television or even on register tape. It's a way to attract more business. I think you should think outside the box.

Sincerely,
Child

FT, is that your roundabout way of saying, "don't waste your money and quit being lazy"?

Yes.

Your thinking is totally out of line. Look at businesses who advertise on television or even on register tape. It's a way to attract more business. I think you should think outside the box.

To each his own. I don't know you from Adam, if what you're doing is working already, I would do more of it. At a minimum, I think you would be pissing money down the drain on this idea. If you want to try it, try it, but you asked for an opinion and that's mine. If you have money burning a whole in your pocket, I would use if for more direct marketing approaches or spend it on my current clients.

Last edited:
I was given an idea of advertising on restaurant placemats at places that cater to seniors. Might even see if I can do this at senior centers that offer cheap lunches.

I would advertise for MA plans without going into detail (screw you CMS).

Can't cost much to try. Any thoughts on this?

Rick

For those who are in the Medicare space, might look into advertising on Pharmacy Prescription Bags (Part D, MedSupp or MA)...Depending on the Grocery Store or Pharmacy (the more local the better) is a unique way to advertise.

Print advertising in any form is good for some industries and not so for others. Look at grocery receipts. How many insurance ads do you see?

If none, that could mean your market is wide open or everyone else has figured out that is not the place to advertise.

Most of us still have Yellow Pages in our homes. Whether you use them or not is another issue.

Look at the inside front cover and back cover. If you see insurance advertised it is usually SR-22. Most of those ads are for ambulance chasers.

Flip to the insurance sections. The big ads are for auto, not life, health or Medicare.

There is a reason for that.

Now take a trip to the library. Flip through old newspapers looking for prominent ads that repeat. One time ads don't work.

If you find insurance ads in there it will probably be from someone with a major budget. In my local paper life insurance term rates are usually posted in the business section or sometimes in the sports section. We have a local insurance agency pumping $5,000+ per week into print ads for newspapers all over the state. Half of that is his money the other comes from the carrier he promotes.

He processes a lot of apps but only 40% or so stick.

I could promote the same company but wouldn't have anywhere near the return he has. Every week he is in your face with a plan summary and rate grid in an 8 x 10 color ad.

I don't recall ever seeing his ad on a grocery receipt.

If you are going to use print ads it must be simple, prominent, and repeated. If it is not directed to your core market you are wasting dollars.

I know an agent who ordered a bunch of coffee cups with his name, number and logo then donated them to the local cafe. I don't know if it sold him any insurance but everybody in town damn sure knew who he was!

I think you would be pissing money down the drain on this idea

Now you're headed in the right direction....

Maybe something similar printed on the plastic screens in the urinals...:laugh:...Are pi$$ing away your life savings? I can show you how to.....

Class is dismissed:1cool:

I think the only one making any$$ on the receipt idea is the salesman and the grocery store who gets the free rolls of receipt paper

Next week lesson...marketing on toilet paper:nah:

Back