Advertising On Grocery Receipt Tape

Maybe something similar printed on the plastic screens in the urinals...:laugh:...Are pi$ away your life savings? I can show you how to.....

While nothing insurance specific, I have seen a number of bars/pubs/clubs that have advertisements within the restrooms and even the pads in the urinals.

So far in my rookie year of selling insurance i've found the only form of advertising that works is my smiling face knocking on their door.

When I was a kid, my father worked for Independent Life and would always bring my class free gifts with Independent life Logo and his name on it...He knew that the kids would show their parents the gift and his info.

A lot of captive companies do a great job on branding and as an agent we need to do a little bit of it also...Try to find a way to get people talking about what you have to offer to other prospects.

So far in my rookie year of selling insurance i've found the only form of advertising that works is my smiling face knocking on their door.

Guys, Carroll has run a very successful business for many years, non insurance related. If anyone on here knows the value of advertising Carroll would be at the top of the list.

The response is more than just an opinion.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Advertising creates awareness, not leads. The goal of most advertising is branding - and branding costs millions of dollars.

Most agents I know do not have the kind of marketing budget to have their advertising make a significant impact. That sure isn't going to happen by having their name on the back of a grocery receipt tape.

Most things like that may make the agent think he/she is being pro active but very seldom do they significantly impact their sales.

Learning to prospect is still the agents "best friend".

Last edited:
I would have to agree with the majority here.

You can spend a couple years dumping money into one inovative idea or another. And there is the posibility you will generate a client or two out of it. But as a genral rule the average agent won't put *enough* money into anything long enough to reach the break point where he starts to recieve any measurable returns.

The key sticking point is passive advertising doesn't typically force a person to take action. Your passive advertising has to hit someone at the same time another outside motivating factor has called for action. ie employment status change, some close dies, term expiring on existing coverage...doable but not necessarily dependable.

As a primary lead genration method i would say "no-go" on the grocery tapes. If nothing else depending on where you do it sate approvals on the ad could be a nightmare :-)

But

As a background generation method...for the right money...after you have established yourself in an area so people know who you are. It *might* be worth looking into.

just my two bits.

This is the best advertising of all. Most of our marketing efforts are only activity avoidance behaviour. I wouldn't waste one $1 on that type of advertising.

I was given an idea of advertising on restaurant placemats at places that cater to seniors. Might even see if I can do this at senior centers that offer cheap lunches.

I would advertise for MA plans without going into detail (screw you CMS).

Can't cost much to try. Any thoughts on this?

Rick

That sounds like a good idea as well as the pharmacy bags. It seems like you would get more qualified leads by honing in on your target as opposed to broad-based advertising like grocery receipts.

Has anything or anyone's opinion changed on this topic of using grocery store receipts for an Insurance ad? My local stores have about 12 ads repeating on the back of the tape and 1 stands out the most because it has buy one entrée and get one 1/2 price. The entrees are usually around $10 so they save $5 every time they eat there. I have 5 in my billfold for that place as I type this. Problem with insurance is what would I put on the ad to make people actually pick up the phone and call?

Has anything or anyone's opinion changed on this topic of using grocery store receipts for an Insurance ad? My local stores have about 12 ads repeating on the back of the tape and 1 stands out the most because it has buy one entrée and get one 1/2 price. The entrees are usually around $10 so they save $5 every time they eat there. I have 5 in my billfold for that place as I type this. Problem with insurance is what would I put on the ad to make people actually pick up the phone and call?

Ah, one more place I wasted money. I do not remember if that was before or after I did the pharmacy bag adds.

Back