advice Farmers Insurance

debshelp44

Expert
Ohio
I'm new to the insurance industry after teaching for 17 years. I have my health and life licenses and currently sell out of my home part time over the internet. I want to pursue this full-time, however, so I am looking for a good place to start in Ohio.
Farmers has called for an interview. I was glad until I found a website dedicated to slamming them and how horrible they were toward their agents. If anyone here has some insight and could give me advice, that would be great. Right now I just have been jotting down names when I see someone here say something great, and also investigating websites of all agencies I can think of. Thanks.

I'm new to the insurance industry after teaching for 17 years. I have my health and life licenses and currently sell out of my home part time over the internet. I want to pursue this full-time, however, so I am looking for a good place to start in Ohio.
Farmers has called for an interview. I was glad until I found a website dedicated to slamming them and how horrible they were toward their agents. If anyone here has some insight and could give me advice, that would be great. Right now I just have been jotting down names when I see someone here say something great, and also investigating websites of all agencies I can think of. Thanks.

Don't all insurance companies have fansites like that?

I have been in insurance a few years working as staff for other companies. I was presented with Farmers as an agent opportunity in my area and did research as well. I came across all the fan sites too so I dug deeper. I don't know what your state calls it but I went to my states State Corp Commission site and we can look up agents appointments. I looked on Farmers site to locate an agent 200 miles away in my area in my state, then looked the agent up online in the scc site. That gave me info for when they are appointed so I could see how long they have been with Farmers. I looked up 5 agents that had been appointed with Farmers for over 13 years in Virginia (Va has only offered Farmers for 14 yrs.) and then looked up CA agents. Since the company was started in CA I assumed the longest running agents would be there and I found a few I wanted to call that had been in since 1977 and the 80's. I called them on my own to ask them questions to make my own mind up. I would suggest you do the same, most of the time they are happy to help. I didn't want to call the one's close to me due to competition. From what I was told most of that on those sites is bull.

However, if you have never done insurance I would suggest you start somewhere as a staff person. Working as a staff person I know how hard it is for my agent and what they have had to do to survive. Employee problems, marketing, overhead cost's, etc.

Hope that helps! Christy

Farmers has called for an interview. I was glad until I found a website dedicated to slamming them and how horrible they were toward their agents. If anyone here has some insight and could give me advice, that would be great.

I'm enough of a lunatic to be celebrating (?) my 17th anniversary in this business this April. I spent 3 years as a market manager for the largest publicly-held P&C insurer in the country.

Almost universally, the "bitch & moan" agents are among the lamest, worst producing ones you can find. Losers.

Ignore 'em.

Thanks all for your imput. I cannot tell you how much it has helped me. Since I am so new at this, I think the training aspect is most important to me right now. Farmer's has offered me the opportunity to become a reserve agent, and they are paying for my class and test fee so I can get my P&C license in addition to the Life and Health I have now. They have not been in Ohio all that long, and the philosophy I got from them was they want to "take over" here. I would think that would translate into good training for their agents. At the end of the reserve program I can go somewhere else if I want to.
I do have an interview set up with American Family, also, so we'll see if they have anything better to say.

rather than label everybody as bitch and moaners, just remember this.. it's like dating.. some sales managers are going to say and promise anything to close the deal. The next morning when the makeup's a little smeared, how will they treat you?

Alot of whether being captured works for you or not, depends on the personality of the sales manager. They are either going to make your experience a great one or drive you out on your own or out of the business.

I've been captive and indpendent for 10 years each way. The captive part was odd, because your "independent" and they tell you are...but more often than not, they treat you like an employee. I came in with the idea it was my business to make and grow, then a little down the road it was brought to my attiention I was selling products that didn't make the sales manager enough in overrides and I needed to change my business so he could make more. Our production talks centered around what I could do for him. I guess our relationship went flat when I finally told him that I don't care where his kids go to private school, it's not my job to pay for it. My job is providing what the customers want first, not what pays the best manager override.... but I've always had trouble with people making a living off me without making any effort to help me. I guess I fall into that bitch and moan grouping?

Listen closely to what your being told. If it isn't down on company letterhead, ask yourself is it believable?

do your homework and understand what you're going into. It's a good industry to be in if you stay ethical and do things the right way because in the long run, it pays off.

Don't expect to make lots of $$ in the short term, but more in the long run. Always remember that you are there to serve people and that people will trust you with their $$ so that you may protect them.

I have been a Farmers Agent for a little more than 3 years now. They have been nothing but fantastic to me. As a company there financials look great which helps retain clients and avoid rate jumps etc. Like all companies I believe the more you sell - the better they will be to you. I know agents that think Farmers gives them the shaft but I don't think they work very hard. I have competitive rates, first rate training, agency ownership and had financial support for over two years to grow my business. After that they forgave all the money they gave me. I would say not bad.:)

I too am interested in getting into the Life Insurance/Annuities/Mutual Funds/LTC industry on a part-time basis from home. I have my Life & Health License along with my 6 & 63 securities license. I want the ability to work from home at my own pace, (without any restricted office requirements outside of occasional meetings) during the evenings until I build my clientele. In other words, I want to be a true Independent Contractor that works strictly on commissions. What is the best way to do this?

Back