Advice Needed for Career Change

I'm thinking of doing a career change and get into the insurance business. I currently work in the medical field, but the job market and advancement opportunities are poor in my area. I live in Southwest Virginia.
Any advice on which companies would be best to go with in regards of getting a lot of help and training for someone with no insurance background?
I have interviewed with Aflac, but have read a lot of negative things about that company, so I have a few reservations.

It would help if you provided some information on the type of insurance products you are interested in. Life, health, p&c, benefits, etc.

Call your insurance agent and ask questions.

What do you currently do in the medical field? What kind of income goal to you have in mind? How large is your referral and contact network? How comfortable are you with picking up the phone and cold calling? How about walking into a business? What aspects of insurance interest you? Lots of things to think about.

A lot of guys get their start in Final Expense. Take a look at my signature and you can see if FE is something you might like.

I'm thinking of doing a career change and get into the insurance business. I currently work in the medical field, but the job market and advancement opportunities are poor in my area. I live in Southwest Virginia.
Any advice on which companies would be best to go with in regards of getting a lot of help and training for someone with no insurance background?
I have interviewed with Aflac, but have read a lot of negative things about that company, so I have a few reservations.
If you're interested in life insurance, I'd be happy to help you. I'm in a great IMO with amazing training and mentorship.

Aflac only deals in Health, so that's the focus for the job I am pursuing. I passed the pre-license exam today and I enjoyed learning the information, but I believe I would enjoy other areas of insurance as well.
I am very capable of doing cold calls and approaching businesses. The area I live in is no metropolis, but I am very familiar with it, as I have lived here for 40+ years. I believe there are ample opportunities, but I have no actual sales experience to base that opinion on.
I will be giving up a $60,000 per year job, and am hopeful I can reach that level in sales in just a couple of years.

Aflac only deals in Health, so that's the focus for the job I am pursuing. I passed the pre-license exam today and I enjoyed learning the information, but I believe I would enjoy other areas of insurance as well.
I am very capable of doing cold calls and approaching businesses. The area I live in is no metropolis, but I am very familiar with it, as I have lived here for 40+ years. I believe there are ample opportunities, but I have no actual sales experience to base that opinion on.
I will be giving up a $60,000 per year job, and am hopeful I can reach that level in sales in just a couple of years.

To have an income in sale equivalent to your $60,000 a year at a 1099 job you will need to earn about $80,000 if you include benefits. I think the chances of doing that through AFLAC are very slim. In fact the chances of having that type of income within two years in any type of insurance is slim. It can be done but you would be the exception to the rule.

What everyone is saying has merit and if the Health vertical is the direction you want to go congratulations.

However with your income goal, you also have to take into consideration a couple variables and this is where a lot of new agents fall short. Create a business plan for yourself with both short and long term goals. I realize that things will change as you and your business grow but at least give yourself a path to follow. Also, and very important!! If you chose not to go with a career or captive organization that pays for your leads, marketing, etc. Make sure you have adequate funding and are capitalized for what you are trying to accomplish. Meaning, money for leads, advertising, etc. Most new agents think because they have a license, people will flock to buy insurance from them. Unfortunately that's why so many agents exit the business very quickly (that and not having adequate guidance and being trained properly so they are left hanging). Best of luck.

Our mission is to help millions of families to have a better financial future. We train, help you get licensed and through our successful mentorship help you become a giant in this industry. Self development is the key to any business!

Thank you
Linet

Primerica? WFG? What's the company you're pimping?

Rick

I'm also planning on an entry into insurance field from outside industry, and have personally had phone calls ( short and respectful ) with a few of the long term posters here. Just like any forum there are legitimate people who contribute and add value in posts, however there are others that may prey on the uninformed. I'd encourage you to scrutinize posters with limited history here. There are 'seed' topics planted as part of recruitment funnels, and there are great topics with important info. Look up the username, see other posts they've made - from there you can get a feel for their personality and style. Some help others succeed to get what they want, other use others to get what they want. Begin with the end in mind - find a market that suits your sales "style", understand the type of prospects each insurance market serves, and make an educated decision based on the best match - then run and invest in it - like a business. Different mindset then an employee. Best of luck!

Back