Advice Needed?? Please Help!

NewbieOKC

I am looking at getting into the Insurance biz here in OK and am overwhelmed in the decision making process. I was hoping to get some feedback here on the best direction to go. Not looking to start a bash session against carriers, just a little insight.

I have nearly 20 yrs of B2B/outside sales experience and have been enticed to get into the industry after being offered a RDM position with Farmers. Unfortunately my credit is a bit shoddy so, no bueno there. But it got me interested none the less.

I have looked at, talked to or heard about so many different companies my head is spinning. From Combined to Aflac, AIL, NYL, PMA, UHA, Inshpere, it's just so confusing...

What I do know is this, I have no fear of cold calling and building a book of business. I want solid support and decent training. But more important I want a strong product line to sell and don't have months to starve with no income.

Please, Please Help!

Best Regards,

J~

I am looking at getting into the Insurance biz here in OK and am overwhelmed in the decision making process. I was hoping to get some feedback here on the best direction to go. Not looking to start a bash session against carriers, just a little insight.

I have nearly 20 yrs of B2B/outside sales experience and have been enticed to get into the industry after being offered a RDM position with Farmers. Unfortunately my credit is a bit shoddy so, no bueno there. But it got me interested none the less.

I have looked at, talked to or heard about so many different companies my head is spinning. From Combined to Aflac, AIL, NYL, PMA, UHA, Inshpere, it's just so confusing...

What I do know is this, I have no fear of cold calling and building a book of business. I want solid support and decent training. But more important I want a strong product line to sell and don't have months to starve with no income.

Please, Please Help!

Best Regards,

J~

There is no clear best. Look for good local management and a mentor to train you. That is the most important thing.

I'm in the same boat. I'm so confused on what direction to take. Everybody says stay Indy but they all started captive than went independent. I have opportunities to work with Aflac, bankers, and NYL or stay independent and grind it out. So confused please help!! And sorry not trying to take over your thread but I feel we're in Te same position.

Thank you all for your time and advice!

@jvick5
No worries...

@gflo
Initially I was think of leveraging my business sales exp and network and focus on accident/sickness and life and was leaning towards Combined. But then I am torn because I feel that Med Sup and FE could be just as lucrative if not more with possibly a shorter initial timeline...

So, yeah, I'm clueless... Lol

Let me re-phrase my plea: If any of you had to do it again, starting today, knowing what you know now; what direction would go? And who would you go with, if you had to pick one?

Thank you all, your help in this is invaluable!

J~

The downside of insurance is building up your book. It can take up to 1 to 3 years before breaking even or having reserves for a year.I'm Trying to start an agency but working full time elsewhere until I can build my book.

Back