Advice Needed. Thinking of Going Indy Due to Health Problems.

Anderson

This is going to be a little long so please bear with me. I have been in sales all my life. I was in construction and decided to leave due to a dispute with the company. I had decided that I wanted to work in insurance and had my health and life license. I went to NYL just as the economy sunk. (Bad timing). I sold enough life to barely pay my bills and left NYL due to not making quota. Found another job and my health started to decline. Was finally diagnosed and have been working with drs to keep me working. I was hired by a major P&C company with a new agent. My sales have been solid. There was a major learning curve but have been selling 45 policies a month with the agent buying internet leads. After probation period I told agent about health problems. Agent was very understanding but I've just been off sick again for 2 days and have the feeling the axe is coming. My question is: I now work about 49 hrs a week and am paid a salary of $2000 a month plus about 350 a month bonus. Most of my sales are outside the office since I offer to go to the client. Clients love this. I would love to be indy but the only working capital I would have is unemployment. What type of income do you think is reasonable? I'm looking at P&C and life. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Sounds like you need to stay where you are.

As a W2 employee with salary, there should be problems if your employer tries to can you due to a change in health.

If you go out on you own at this time it appears you will sink your financial boat.

And this . . .

Does your employer provide health insurance? If so, how will you pay COBRA when you leave?

I agree that you should stay where you are. However, if the axe falls, you may not have choice.

If you feel that strongly about getting canned then you may want to start shopping contracts now. I can help you tremendously on the life and health side, but can't do a thing for you with P&C.

I would think you could make the $2350/month easily with life and the right contracts and marketing approach.

I am insured with my husbands employer. So far so good. I think things are going to be ok for now. I keep reading and learning. I don't plan on leaving unless I have no choice. Just looking for suggestions just in case.
Thanks

I am insured with my husbands employer. So far so good. I think things are going to be ok for now. I keep reading and learning. I don't plan on leaving unless I have no choice. Just looking for suggestions just in case.
Thanks

You are very welcome. Keep my name and number just in case....you never know.

Back