Advice of Explaining MAPD and Med Supp Options to Age Ins

I show a picture of a Chinese food menu and I compare it to an all inclusive resort and review the MOOP and network disadvantages and the client decides.

I show a picture of a Chinese food menu and I compare it to an all inclusive resort and review the MOOP and network disadvantages and the client decides.

That's just funny. I'm taking a wild guess, but I'm thinking you don't sell a lot of MAPD that way...

Nice!

Every response so far has been by Agents who obviously don't like MAPD"s or probably ever want to sell them. Free, Free, Free Medicare supplements except for the premium (which will increase every year) and also a separate PDP premium. Copays on everything once you go on a Medicare Advantage plan. What I have found is an agent can sell whatever product he prefers by saying things that will scare the client either way.

I try to go over A, B, C and D of Medicare and show what the premiums are both ways and then go over the copays on the MAPD and let them decide if they want to pay the higher premiums or go with the $0.00 premium and set the money aside for their copays. Most of my T-65 have been going the Med Sup route because premiums are fairly low. My 72+ crowd has been leaning towards the MAPD now because of increases on their Med Sups.

I don't try to persuade them either way and I get asked by about everyone of them what they should do and I just say each individual has to make their own decision and be able to sleep at night with that decision.

Last edited:
Every response so far has been by Agents who obviously don't like MAPD"s or probably ever want to sell them. Free, Free, Free Medicare supplements except for the premium (which will increase every year) and also a separate PDP premium.
I have no problem with MAPD we ofer both I am not selling or amrekting to low inocme clients . NJ MAPD is not as competitive as it is other states. Alot of new agents get free leads or sell in Walmarts and MA is more prominent if that is how you market. For T65s I do seminars and most people after hearing about the limitations of MA choose Med Supp.

Just my experience, there are many different ways to slice the tomato.

What limitations do they not like? Do you mean the networks or needing a referral sometimes? Some of these now have dental, vision, gym memberships, $20/month for OTC items, etc. One could probably sell MA by telling client the limitations of a Med Sup such as no dental, vision, etc. I'm not being a prick I'm just wondering what limitations they don't like.

Every response so far has been by Agents who obviously don't like MAPD"s or probably ever want to sell them. Free, Free, Free Medicare supplements except for the premium (which will increase every year) and also a separate PDP premium. Copays on everything once you go on a Medicare Advantage plan. What I have found is an agent can sell whatever product he prefers by saying things that will scare the client either way.

I try to go over A, B, C and D of Medicare and show what the premiums are both ways and then go over the copays on the MAPD and let them decide if they want to pay the higher premiums or go with the $0.00 premium and set the money aside for their copays. Most of my T-65 have been going the Med Sup route because premiums are fairly low. My 72+ crowd has been leaning towards the MAPD now because of increases on their Med Sups.

I don't try to persuade them either way and I get asked by about everyone of them what they should do and I just say each individual has to make their own decision and be able to sleep at night with that decision.

In the absence of any savings incentives or control of expenditures, such as occurs with an HSA for folks under 65, how do you see "setting money aside for copays" working out in practice for your clients?

Has worked pretty well the last 7 or 8 years for most of my MA clients. If they were paying 180.00 each for their Med Sups and go to the $0.00 MA they can set aside the $360/month in a savings account and have a pretty nice savings after a few years. Do they all do it? Probably not but I know quite a few that have.

Yeah, no way.

Just ran a report of my last 10 T65 deals. Exactly 5 med supps and 5 mapd plans.

Of course the premium is a factor. When speaking with a human, not typing quickly on a forum, I'll add things like, "now, for $0 monthly, you'll have copays on just about everything - but they tend to be reasonable - maybe something you are used to."

Good grief - way to read into a post.

Back