Advice on Allstate and Liberty Mutual

AGENT0526

I worked in group health benefits for several years for a broker and was successful in sales. I then left insurance to work for a family business, which I have done for the past 10 years. I am now in the process of leaving that business and moving to Florida. I love sales and started applying for different insurance jobs. I have been contacted by Liberty Mutual and an Allstate Agency. I haven't worked in P&C before. From what I can gather, starting pay with each one is pretty similar...base pay, training, plus commissions following training. I am just looking for some opinions on each company and which one would be the best as far as a long term career.

I like Liberty Mutual better but they're only competitive with a very narrow range of prospects (High income, good credit, homeowner, etc). Does it have to be one of those two? Does Erie exist in your area? Maybe look at Safeco and MetLife? Metlife has a huge and great quality product range if you ever wanted to stay captive but sell a lot more than P&C. I'm not really sure which carriers offer a supportive start-up environment to people new to the P&C world outside of Liberty Mutual, State Farm, and Allstate.

My bigger concern would be going from a group product where you deal with businesses to a personal lines product where you're dealing with individuals. Why not go back to what you know? Group health rules are changing hugely right now so there's a lot of opportunity with all of the businesses that have to change their policies.

I don't know if I am going to answer your question directly; however, I work with a big P/C producer in FL (East Coast, Southern FL, Palm Beach and Broward County based, etc.). He's in the HNW marketplace. Through him I've met other P/C producers, agencies, etc.

First, the problem with P/C in FL is home risk -- hurricane, storm, flood, etc. From what I gather, it's very hard to secure coverage. Second, when disaster hits, some of these companies tend to "run for the hills" so to speak. Public adjusters have a real field day. While I know the P/C agent I work with is super-successful, I am sure there are many others. However, I think it's always the people at the top of the pyramid in their respective marketplace who are successful.

That said, my exposure/experience with Allstate and Liberty Mutual is here in the NY/NJ/CT area. They are not top-tier carriers. They are more of a "captive" company and "direct writer" respectively -- at least that's their reputation. While LM is truly not a direct writer, I was always under the impression that many people were accessing them through "captive agent" types, agencies, etc. I don't know if it's true. HOwever, they are not "well respected" here in our geographic area. They are "cheap" carriers -- at least that's their reputation in my circles.

My opinion is not an expert one, but I would go with the one that will allow you to access and write other carriers, products, etc.; and I would lean toward LM (if they let you do that), although again, my opinion is not an expert one.

Good luck.

I worked in group health benefits for several years for a broker and was successful in sales. I then left insurance to work for a family business, which I have done for the past 10 years. I am now in the process of leaving that business and moving to Florida. I love sales and started applying for different insurance jobs. I have been contacted by Liberty Mutual and an Allstate Agency. I haven't worked in P&C before. From what I can gather, starting pay with each one is pretty similar...base pay, training, plus commissions following training. I am just looking for some opinions on each company and which one would be the best as far as a long term career.

CAT exposer in FL is brutal. PM me w/your contact info and I'll give you some statistics.

If you are looking at Allstate and liberty mutual I assume you are looking to get into personal lines. If in florida look into independent shops. There are a ton of companies writing homeowners insurance still in Florida.

Back