Advice on Auto Insurance Appraisal

May 29, 2019

1. GTRich08

GTRich08 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am new to this forum, but got a suspicious appraisal. Here is some background:

I have a Nissan GT-R, with aftermarket front splitter and canards - expensive. I bought the car like this, so I do not have invoices for these. I was at a Costco Gas Station. A man in a big truck cut to the right too narrow and swiped the front of my car damaging the canards and the splitter.

I am in MI, where there is no-fault insurance. Someone hit me in a parking lot, so his insurance pays for it. I am hoping for at least $2,000 to cover the cost of new parts, and I would handle the labor myself. His insurance sent an appraiser to check my car. I sent him links to the parts. A few days later, sent the appraisal amount to only cover $1,400. I got into a big argument over this with the appraiser and the insurance.

He found a cheap eBay copy of my canards shipped from China for a fraction of the full cost of the part, and he is adamant that this is fair, because "they don't buy factory parts". The thing is, these canards are not a direct replacement of mine, because of the wrong drill hole placements on the canard itself, which is proof itself that it is not a replacement. But he is still adamant that this is fair.

He also said because it looks like I already have some concrete damage on my splitter (normal wear and tear when it comes to fronts of cars), that they will subtract 50% of the cost of a new splitter. I'm not sure if this is normal operating procedure for things of this nature.

Does anyone that works in insurance let me know if they are giving me a run for my money?

GTRich08, May 29, 2019
  2. mattt

mattt New Member

Cars are covered at actual cash value for the most part so wear and tear can definitely affect the value of certain parts on a car. If there is already damage to a particular part of a car it makes that part worth less too. This is pretty common and since it's not your fault it can be super frustrating. I would talk to your agent in MI as I don't know how no fault states work.

mattt, May 29, 2019
  3. fed up

fed up Guru

State:
    Virginia
    Instead of handling the labor and trying to get $2000 for the parts (which may not be realistic), Take the vehicle to a repair station you trust and get an estimate for the parts and labor to repair the vehicle and make you whole. Figure out the manufacturer of your parts and submit that estimate. Canards come in carbon fiber, fiberglass, and plastic. Get replacement cost for what was damaged or have your company repair the car and subrogate against his company

fed up, May 29, 2019
  4. GTRich08

GTRich08 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I could do that and I bet a shop would quote something larger than $2000. I have a feeling that their insurance company will only pay up to what THEIR appraiser has quoted. Unless there is more unseen damage, which then the appraiser will be called into the shop to look at the damage.

GTRich08, May 29, 2019
  5. Change Request

Change Request Expert

State:
    West Virginia
    Here is the fact. His policy probably allows for the use of parts that are like kind and quality (LKQ) or aftermarket. BUT you didn't sign that agreement and aren't legally bound by it. The key to it is to force the insurance company covering the cost to prove to you that said parts are identical or you won't accept it. Driling new holes is not identical. Wear and tear has no play in this. I would be shocked if your state law governing insurance repair doesn't support that concept. His insurance company (through the adjuster's actions) is just trying to get off cheap, which is typical of most of them.

Remember this point, also. The person who hit you is responsible for identical replacement, even if his insurance company will only pay for something different. You always have the right to call on that person for the difference in whatever way you choose.. His insurance company is just "the payer" in this and you didn't sign up for his insurance policies. Again, they are just trying to save themselves money at your expense.

I agree with fed up, take it to a shop. Nissan has GT-R certified body shops, because its a special car. Find that shop and let the insurance company deal with them. They will likely be on your side big time. You can also subrogate, but the parts replacement rules of "prove it" applies to your insurance company, too. They want to save money, as well.

If I had a GT-R, I sure wouldn't accept junk on my car. You may have to do some research and push back with that info. They are expecting you to roll over.

Last edited: May 30, 2019