Advice On Seeking Sales Manager!!!!

pins

Hello everyone. I am looking to hire a sales manager to help boost sales in my insurance office's and I was wondering what people use these days to recruit(Career builder, Hot Jobs). I am an auto P&C office with 2 locations in California and to be honest sales have never been this low. I want to hire someone that can run a team of agents and start doing commercial, life, and health. Also what would be a fair pay structure for this manager and the new agents I hire. I am new to this so I really need some advice. I want to do some salary but mostly commission. Should I hire a manager with insurance with experience only? Any advice?

I would recommend experience in the insurance field, and in the products that they will be selling. I am well versed in the Medicare market, but I would not feel comfortable selling P&C products. My P&C agent's parents are clients of mine because he has no desire to understand or know Medicare.

When I have looked for jobs in the past, I have used indeed.com, which pulls from all over. As far as I know, careerbuilder is the top job site out there, but there may be some more local job boards people use in your area. Craigslist is free and if you want resumes from all walks of life, I would post there (please note the sarcasm). Although, I do know people who found some decent jobs off CL. So, you never know.

Best way to find someone is through a combination of print/web ads and asking around your area. My initial reaction was that you may want to find a manager for the non-P&C business. If your a P&C guy, why have someone else manage? Also, if you ask the manager to do both, you limit your pool of applicants to those who have P&C and Life/Health.

As for the role/compensation, first thing I would do is develop a yearly comp amount I am targeting for the manager, say 100K. Now how much will he/she make through own production, say $75,000. There for the "managers" duties will cost you $25,000. Thus the time is split 75/25. Does the 25% of "managing" time make sense? If not, adjust.

Good luck.

I was think of having the manager supervise the agents and not really sell and I would pay them a percentage of the commission every agent makes. I was wondering if this is successful business strategy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Best way to find someone is through a combination of print/web ads and asking around your area. My initial reaction was that you may want to find a manager for the non-P&C business. If your a P&C guy, why have someone else manage? Also, if you ask the manager to do both, you limit your pool of applicants to those who have P&C and Life/Health.

As for the role/compensation, first thing I would do is develop a yearly comp amount I am targeting for the manager, say 100K. Now how much will he/she make through own production, say $75,000. There for the "managers" duties will cost you $25,000. Thus the time is split 75/25. Does the 25% of "managing" time make sense? If not, adjust.

Good luck.

I was think of having the manager supervise the agents and not really sell and I would pay them a percentage of the commission every agent makes. I was wondering if this is successful business strategy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
Why don't you as the owner act as a sales manager? With very few exceptions, sales managers are unjustified overhead. If you have a program for tracking sales activity and some level of accountability for production, the "sales management" side of the business revolves around making the right hires.

Mark,

I'm what you are looking for. 30+ years of sales management experience. Consultant to captive and indedendent agencies. Authored 5 books on insurance sales management and marketing. Earned my company's mgt award 24 years in a row. I can dramatically improve your results. Let's talk.

Harlan Warthen
408-628-8998

Back