Advice on Selling Med Supps

To anyone,

I enjoy selling Med Supps and I currently only cold call to get appointments. I was wondering if there were other techniques or advertising that works well to get the attention of Seniors. I know some people use dinner seminars but I just dont have the money to try that as of yet. It would be nice to not cold call all of the time. Calling 150-200 per day to set 6-10 appointments is grueling. Getting some warmer leads would be a nice change of pace! LOL! :) It gets quite boring being attached to the phone for 8-10 hours! I like to sell the Med Supps because it seems to be my key in the door to cross sell them other products. So anyone that specializes in Med Supps I would like to get your opinions. Oh a little background info about me is I have been in the business for about 3 months and I am a captive agent. The lines I sell are LTC, Life, Med Supps and Annuities. Lets get a good Med Supp thread going. ;)

I have specialized in Med Supps since 1993. I have tried to sell them every way one can think of. Seminars are the worst. Even if you had the money I would suggest that you not waste it that way.

I do my own telemarketing and generate my own leads. It has been six to eight years since I have purchased a lead of any kind.

It sounds like you are spending too much time on the phone to only have generated that many appointments. It may be your approach on the phone that you need to look more closely at. It sounds like you have plenty of people to call.

The "secret", if there is such a thing, to telemarketing Med Supps is to say in control of the conversation. Once you relinquish control then you may as hang up and go to the next call.

Are you attempting to generate your own leads? If so, how are you doing it? I do it with every call I make. More often than not the prospect that I talk to today that I don't sell will be a client in the coming months.

If you call I would also like to know what you consider an appointment. When I go on an appointment they know how much it will cost and I know if they qualify.

If you would like to give me a call and let me know what you say on the phone I may be able to offer some suggestions.

Frank,

I should clear one thing up. I dont always call that many people usually I can get 6-8 appointments from 80 calls. Today I called way more than I wanted to call. By appointment I mean they agree to let me come into their home and sit and educate them about the options they have in regards to their Medicare. I dont talk price on the phone. The leads come from my manager. There seem to be quite a few but I call many of the numbers several times before I get an answer. So I keep wading through them until I get an answer one way or the other. I am quite frustrated by how they want us to prospect. My appointments are usually not of a very good quality. If I sit with 9-12 people I can usually close 3 of them. I am so burned out now that I am not sure if I want to continue prospecting the way I am. I will not be allowed to give a quote over the phone. I am sure the would blow a gasket if I deviate to far from my scripts. I just dont know where to go with it.

Frank,

I should clear one thing up. I dont always call that many people usually I can get 6-8 appointments from 80 calls. Today I called way more than I wanted to call. By appointment I mean they agree to let me come into their home and sit and educate them about the options they have in regards to their Medicare. I dont talk price on the phone. The leads come from my manager. There seem to be quite a few but I call many of the numbers several times before I get an answer. So I keep wading through them until I get an answer one way or the other. I am quite frustrated by how they want us to prospect. My appointments are usually not of a very good quality. If I sit with 9-12 people I can usually close 3 of them. I am so burned out now that I am not sure if I want to continue prospecting the way I am. I will not be allowed to give a quote over the phone. I am sure the would blow a gasket if I deviate to far from my scripts. I just dont know where to go with it.

Give me a call and let's talk about it. There may be ways for you to be able to take a different approach and dramatically improve your results.

I could ask a ton of questions here but it is a whole lot more comfortable and informative to use the phone. E-mail sucks for that purpose.

Are you with Bankers Life?

Back