Advice on Starting MY Career Path....

k1ngtut

Expert
Hey everyone,

I have been "lurking" for a while now and joined the forum today. I am starting the courses for my tests soon and would love to hear you input on achieving my goals.

I currently hold a full time job that is flexible. I am looking to become self employed allowing me to persue my true passion which is coaching football.

I realize that selling insurance is work, and that it will probably take me a couple of years to build to my goal of $40k a year and sustain that. I believe that I will be successful in this line of work because of my work ethic and I am very much a people person. People have always looked to me for guidance and I have always been more than willing to help anyone who needed it.

That all being said, what path would you take to get to $40-50k a year as soon as possible while building a quality business. What are my steps?

If I go the independent route do I have to get my licenses, sign up with a comparable rater provider and go?

Thank you very much in advance. I am involved with other forums around the net and this one seems to be stocked with great people.

Aaron

Last edited:
seems like you have not lurked enough..

Without experience in this industry no one on here is going to tell you that going independant off the bat will be a good idea.

Work for an agency, learn the business, branch off and start your own.

What will you be selling?

seems like you have not lurked enough..

Without experience in this industry no one on here is going to tell you that going independant off the bat will be a good idea.

Work for an agency, learn the business, branch off and start your own.

What will you be selling?

I am flexible. I will be getting my p&c and l&h licenses. I am not opposed to learning under someone but have read from several people on here that they have gone with a cluster and done just fine. Most mentioned that they had "mentors" I know I will need some help.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Why do you aim for such a low number, 40K/yr? Why not 40k/month? You have already shaped your paradigm of future production and capacity, before you even started.

Why do you aim for such a low number, 40K/yr? Why not 40k/month? You have already shaped your paradigm of future production and capacity, before you even started.

I am being realistic. I have an unlimited potential, I am very open to surpassing those figures and will adjust my goals to surpuss 40k when appropriate. 40K would allow me to leave my current job :)

This is hilarious. And people wonder why recruiters throw around the bull they do. A guy comes on with realistic, all be it low, income expectations and now everyone is telling him that is too low.

After expenses, 40k is what the typical agent makes. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has that number on their website for anyone to see.

So yeah, shot for 40k your first year or two, but don't limit yourself to that.

After expenses, 40k is what the typical agent makes. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has that number on their website for anyone to see.

So if you can double your production this year you will finally be "typical."

Good luck with that. Remember, you have a face for phone sales.

Rick

This is hilarious. And people wonder why recruiters throw around the bull they do. A guy comes on with realistic, all be it low, income expectations and now everyone is telling him that is too low.

So yeah, shot for 40k your first year or two, but don't limit yourself to that.

Thanks for understanding. So far in this thread I have gotten little help. Remember guys, I am looking for guidance here, think HELPFUL.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is lurking legal? I think it is similar to stalking!:skeptical:

You hit the nail on the head, I started to feel funny so I actually joined the forum :)

Last edited:
Back