Advice Please

nyankee

I have been offered a job as a captive agent with Humana, just wanting to pick your brains on any suggestions and besides the base salary what an average agent make per year?

Thank You for your advice

I have been offered a job as a captive agent with Humana, just wanting to pick your brains on any suggestions and besides the base salary what an average agent make per year?

Thank You for your advice

I am a captive agent for Humana. Have been for 2 1/2 years. First year is usually $30k to $50K. Depends on your area and your product. Great benefits with the company but as a Captive you will work your a$$ off.

If you have one of the best products in your area, I'm sure you could make a decent amount of money. I just couldn't try to fit everyone into one product. That's why I could never be captive. Each persons situation is different. Especially when you include Rx. I like the freedom to offer the client what is best for their specific situation.

Question is, what will you do when you know there is a better product for someone? Will you try and fit a square peg into a round hole or will you tell the person they can do better elsewhere?

If you have one of the best products in your area, I'm sure you could make a decent amount of money. I just couldn't try to fit everyone into one product. That's why I could never be captive. Each persons situation is different. Especially when you include Rx. I like the freedom to offer the client what is best for their specific situation.

Question is, what will you do when you know there is a better product for someone? Will you try and fit a square peg into a round hole or will you tell the person they can do better elsewhere?

I would make more not being captive because I do not change them if our product is not the right fit. This was a great way to get into the business and understand the MA and PDP side of it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
...and probably be micro-managed to death while you do.

Depends on the manager. I am lucky. My Manager doesn't micro-manage. He is not the typical Sales Manager for Humana though. I talk to co workers across the country that are micro-managed like crazy. Of the 26 that started in January 2006 there are 6 of us left.

Last edited:
I used to work for Marketpoint. It will depend on your manager, the area, the product, etc. Unless it is a strong HMO market for them or unless maybe there is little competition from other carriers in the market I probably wouldn't do it again.

But as Lori noted, the training is excellent, perhaps the best in the industry. (I was trained by their head trainer and perhaps one of their better sales managers.) Just don't buy in to the line that MA is for everybody.

Nyankee, welcome to the forum. It is refreshing to hear from someone who knows how to spell the noun form,viz., advice instead of misusing the verb form advise.:)
Thanks for your input, I ken spel ok cause I gots one of dem degree thingiez:)

Back