Advice sought

Go Green

Expert
I have a client who has taken his paramed, has had at work health/wellness checkups, but has never been to the doctor in last 20 years. He is 34 years old. There are no doctor records. The life insurer is requesting Aps from doctor which there is not one. My question is what would be the most cost efficient way of doing this which would satisfy that requirement. do I send client to doctor for a routine physical or send him to a walk in clinic for a sore throat checkup which would be cheaper. Thanks for any input. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Tell your client to get a full physical with blood-work. In case he has something that he does not know about and which is treatable because it was caught early, you are doing him a huge favor... you may be saving his life.

How are you going to feel, knowing what you know about him, if you wrote a policy on him on the basis of an APS from a doc-in-the-box and he died from a couple of years from now from something that would have been caught in a full exam?

If he were my client I would decline to be his agent until he got a full physical exam from a real doctor including an EKG (takes two minutes... but the tape sure hurts when they pull it off your chest... except for Senior whom I believe shaves his chest (like a competitive swimmer does, but I don't think he swims much. Being in the hot tub with Rick does not count as a water sport.)) :D

Al

... except for Senior whom I believe shaves his chest (like a competitive swimmer does, but I don't think he swims much. Being in the hot tub with Rick does not count as a water sport.)) :D

Al
Hey Jackass! It's rare when you don't mention Senior, YIO or me in your posts. You managed (again) to mention 2 out of three this time.

Are you coming on to us?

Any chance of you going a few days without giving me yet another reason to ask you to blow me again?:bump:

Rick

Tell your client to get a full physical with blood-work. In case he has something that he does not know about and which is treatable because it was caught early, you are doing him a huge favor... you may be saving his life.

How are you going to feel, knowing what you know about him, if you wrote a policy on him on the basis of an APS from a doc-in-the-box and he died from a couple of years from now from something that would have been caught in a full exam?

If he were my client I would decline to be his agent until he got a full physical exam from a real doctor including an EKG (takes two minutes... but the tape sure hurts when they pull it off your chest... except for Senior whom I believe shaves his chest (like a competitive swimmer does, but I don't think he swims much. Being in the hot tub with Rick does not count as a water sport.)) :D

Al

We all know that there is no need to worry about you having any clients. :D

P.S. I am uncomfortable with you thinking about my chest. :skeptical:

try again website having problems...short version

Two things are possible here. Your client does have a medical history or he/she has false information in the MIB. Carriers don't order APS on a whim. They have information you don't. Ask the underwriter to help you a little bit by finding out what they are looking for?

You would not be the first agent a client didn't provide full disclosure to. For that matter, you wouldn't be the first agent to run across bad information in the MIB.

I've failed to place a couple "healthy" clients because they "forgot" to mention Dr. visits for things that they should have said yes to instead of no.

al3 that sounds great and makes total sense. But what if the client goes for the whole physical with blood tests and ekg and something is found that prevents him from getting his 1.5 million ploicy or they find something that is untreatable or even terminal leaving his wife and 5 kids with nothing but medical bills. I would have a guilty feeling from that also, if I ever found that there might have been another way to get an aps.

Ahh, lesson learned. Submit for $1M or less first, it's pretty rare to request an APS at that level, at your clients age, unless something flags elsewhere.

Once that's in place, add a second policy for the balance, which will flag the APS request, but the first policy is in place at that point.

To me, your best option is to cancel the request, write a non-med with a different company for a lower amount (may get flagged though), and then resubmit after a physical for the original policy.

For a $1.5M policy, it's going to be hard to get through without some sort of doctors records. My experience is $1M is a magical number through mid-40's. Over this amount, they start looking at the application a LOT more serious, even start doing financial underwriting on the policy to make sure it's justified. $1M and under usually goes sailing right through, unless there is a problem that shows up.

Dan

try again website having problems...short version

Two things are possible here. Your client does have a medical history or he/she has false information in the MIB. Carriers don't order APS on a whim. They have information you don't. Ask the underwriter to help you a little bit by finding out what they are looking for?

You would not be the first agent a client didn't provide full disclosure to. For that matter, you wouldn't be the first agent to run across bad information in the MIB.

I've failed to place a couple "healthy" clients because they "forgot" to mention Dr. visits for things that they should have said yes to instead of no.

Indeed this is all true. They have a reason for requesting the APS that is yet to be revealed.

Couple weeks ago a client forgot to mention that he was on methadone treatment. Didn't matter because his "well controlled" diabetes was very,very much through the roof and out into orbit.

Winter

Hold on here, I am a bit confused.

What carrier are you using that will write a 1.5M policy without a full workup paramed to include at least resting EKG, blood, urine, and so on?

I agree that something is very wrong here. If the underwriting is asking only for an APS and not requiring something additional to the full paramedical exam (like go get a checkup), then there must be something somewhere (like MIB) which indicates something about this applicant.

I have written policies before where the underwriter has suggested, based on the paramed, that the applicant go and see their doctor asap. However, they never requested APS on those, as they already knew what was going on based on the paramed exam.

Back