advise please

Hi

....... once I started talking to people there is a great need for medical but I had read its almost impossible to get a group qualifi, ed in AZ, is it also the same way with individual ? I have a ton to learn....

first thing to learn is not listen to AFLAC people.....like az is going to do with out health insurance....were did you read this AFLAC weekly.....

Sell term and IH and Disabilty, get someone to mentor you that does all these things great. Bring in business and split the case and learn how he works. It is the quickest ticket to success in this very lucrative business.

Hi

Maybe I needed to work my question better. Is there a better company to work for that provides good training do you know of any names ?
I am leaning towards medical ins
Thanks

first thing to learn is not listen to AFLAC people.....like az is going to do with out health insurance....were did you read this AFLAC weekly.....

Hi and thanks for saying this no AFLAC didnt say this it was on a forum , trying to learn all I can so I dont remember which forum, lol probably the one that led me to this one, I think I will stay here .

What is IH ?

Thanks

If you have a trailer and a phone you can sell individual health.

Thanks for the info I have both. Now I just need to learn more about the products and how to work this to get started. I already have some leads I just dont know enough to talk to them in detail about anything yet.

HealthAgent,

I'm currently studying for my exam and my plan is to close deals for this independent agent/broker. I have the cold call experience to generate my leads and he will provide me training for product knowledge. Do you have any other comments or recommendations before I pass this exam for licensing? I remember you said in early posts that it's a mistake for a newbie to join an independent agent?

HealthAgent,

I'm currently studying for my exam and my plan is to close deals for this independent agent/broker. I have the cold call experience to generate my leads and he will provide me training for product knowledge. Do you have any other comments or recommendations before I pass this exam for licensing? I remember you said in early posts that it's a mistake for a newbie to join an independent agent?

I think what John meant was that it's very hard to start out in this business completely independent. By independent he meant contracting direct with all of the companies yourself. It sounds like you have a great deal going on. Any time you can work with someone who is already established, that can be a great situation. Training is the thing that can really set you up to be successful! You still should be careful though and use some of the questions that John mentioned above to make sure your situation is going to be a good one. Keep in mind that once you contract with a company, it can sometimes be tough to switch if you are not happy where you are at. For that reason, I would suggest doing some research and making sure your relationship with this broker will be a profitable one... both in knowledge, and in earnings. Good luck to you!

It's just that the learning curve is huge. As I stated, it's at least six months. It's no really about learning the plans - a high school student can memorize a brochure and software kicks out the rates for you.

What it gets tough it what to recommend depending on a myriad of information and pre-ex conditions. You really need to use pre-screen before showing a client a plan or rates. You also need to know what you can and can't get through underwriting.

The toughest part is wanting to get paid but walking away from deals. The main reasons for that is pending doctor visits, undiagnosed conditions and client seeking insurance because they want to get something treated.

It's also, as stated many times, 75% contacting prospects and 25% selling. Most agents want 75% selling and 25% contacting prospects.

In general you will need 15 prospects to get one deal. Between health issues, people who won't pull the trigger and people who are better off staying put it's 1 out of 15 as the industry standard. Most agents don't get 15 leads a week, hence the huge failure rate. Other agents get 15 leads a day but they can't close a deal. I could tape-record their pitches and use it for my clients who have trouble sleeping.

You have to really enjoy this and know in your heart that you clients are better off having dealt with you. If you don't have that passion you'll lack the desire to pick up the phone. If you can figure it out and love the biz you have a great six figure career and truly be self-employed. This will be a five vacation year for me - came into the biz dead broke.

I think what John meant was that it's very hard to start out in this business completely independent. By independent he meant contracting direct with all of the companies yourself. It sounds like you have a great deal going on. Any time you can work with someone who is already established, that can be a great situation. Training is the thing that can really set you up to be successful! You still should be careful though and use some of the questions that John mentioned above to make sure your situation is going to be a good one. Keep in mind that once you contract with a company, it can sometimes be tough to switch if you are not happy where you are at. For that reason, I would suggest doing some research and making sure your relationship with this broker will be a profitable one... both in knowledge, and in earnings. Good luck to you!

I became completely independent right out of UGA. No one trained me on a single product or underwriting guideline. I gathered up all the brochures of every company in my state and hand wrote a spreadsheet comparing benefits. I then created another spreadsheet of underwriting guidelines. For about 2 weeks straight before I sold I spent 8 hours a day studying and researching the plans - not unlike studying for finals. At 10pm at night my wife would just shake her head - I'd be at the kitchen table with brochure sprawled across it - note pad and pen in hand.

When I was done I cold-called about 3 hours a day so I didn't have any expenses while getting off the ground. It's hard enough to find what to say to clients that not only works but fits your personality - you don't need hundreds of week of expenses on top of it.

When I started contacting prospects I gathered up all of their health info then started doing pre-screens with the various companies. I'd then go back to my client and let them know which company I'd recommend and why.

The bottom line for me was at 36 years old, when I got into the biz, I was done. I was done going job to job and this was gonna be my career. Lawyers and doctors spend 7 or 8 years of schooling to get into their field. All I had to do was intense research and study.

I know agents who have been selling health for years - can't tell you a thing about the limitations and exclusions of the plans they sell.

Back