AEP help and Directions to Go

I am going to try and participate in AEP this year Focusing on Dual enrollee's since they are expanding in my area.. As a newer agent my choices are work in a Walmart 20 hours a week. Captive agent with UHC (they are helping with marketing this year) or work with a guy who has 10 years experience in Medicare Advantage and has personally enrolled 1200 members willing to show 3 or 4 of us in our state how it is done. I am sure we are all faced with the same decisions but could someone chime in on the best route to go or do we even know?

Why would you want to be captive when UHC may not always be the best for your clients? Even if they are this year, it doesn't mean they will be in subsequent years.

I am going to try and participate in AEP this year Focusing on Dual enrollee's since they are expanding in my area.. As a newer agent my choices are work in a Walmart 20 hours a week. Captive agent with UHC (they are helping with marketing this year) or work with a guy who has 10 years experience in Medicare Advantage and has personally enrolled 1200 members willing to show 3 or 4 of us in our state how it is done. I am sure we are all faced with the same decisions but could someone chime in on the best route to go or do we even know?

Why would you focus on duals during AEP? They can change plans anytime.

Given your obvious lack of experience I would go with whoever can give you the best training this year (which might be UHC). Once you know what you're doing then you can go independent.

Rick

I just had an agent randomly contact me (I'm in PA) who tried convincing me to go the Dual-route under him and move several of my contracts under him. I already have those contracts at a higher level with the same FMO he's at. After I wrote 10 with each carrier, he'd bump me back up. He told me he has an edge as he speaks Spanish and has so many clients he couldn't even "count them all!"

He boasted about all the contracts he has in an adjacent state from to his connections due to his religious heritage. I was told to "think it over" and call him back, and once I was contracted with him, we'd make "promises" to each other. No, thanks!

I'm an independent and have several duals with several carriers. UHC was very helpful in going out in the field with me to show me how they approach building managers, social services agencies, etc.

Why would you want to be captive when UHC may not always be the best for your clients? Even if they are this year, it doesn't mean they will be in subsequent years.
Thanks, I have thought about this, going independent would give the consumer more choice for sure.

----------

Why would you focus on duals during AEP? They can change plans anytime.

Given your obvious lack of experience I would go with whoever can give you the best training this year (which might be UHC). Once you know what you're doing then you can go independent.

Rick
Thanks, I did say I was new, I think it is UHC who is focusing on Dual this year, from my understanding the state wants to cut spending in healthcare and switching dual eligible to plans.

In my experience, UHC is very supportive even for an independent agent like me. I have a very good agent manager that's always willing to help. I even get leads from UHC once in awhile.

Stay independent and find an FMO or agency that can provide training is another option.

As stated before, you can do Duals at anytime of the year.

Back