AETNA - Amazing Underwriting / Horrible Pay.

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
Summary of Two Aetna policies issued in the last 30 days:

Male 47 5'8" 247lbs Non-Smoker
Approved with only a 10% rate-up for weight.
Humana and BCBS-IL wouldn't even consider him.
Commission = $7.16 @ month.

Female 42 Smoker
Tele Interview & Approved 17 hours after application.
No rate-up for smoking because she smokes less than 5 cigs per day.
Commission = $7.20 @ month.

Thankfully, I'm able to bundle Critical Illness and Injury policies with these sales, or I'd be out of Health Insurance all-together.

-Allen

Aetna was truly a joy to write for back in the day. After a sharp across the board rate increase here, I knew that I couldn't keep up the numbers up to make $$ with the non-aarp business, so I have used other carriers.

The great thing about Aetna is that they do more than they promise for their customers. The only time I have anyone leave them is when they age into medicare.

I have some that declined their employer groups, just to stay on their Aetna plans, because they'd never had such good coverage. It's really too bad they decided they didn't need agents.

I was speaking with a colleague about them, I won't do it. Not for 4% nor 8%, if a client wants Aetna, here's the link--have a good time wit it !

I don't care if I need 20 non resident states, I will stick with uhc and h1 all day every day.

You expect an attorney to work pro bono's all day and not to default on his Lexus payments or a doctor to work at the ghetto/trailer park free clinic and not resort to slinging crack rock on the side?

No no we need to stop supporting these fools...

They hand out stale crust and expect us to be grateful...

$7 comm why so low what rate are u getting pay. It usually %10 with blue cross so if they pay 200 dollars a month u get 20 dollars. What service are u talking about with them. I only do blue cross usually people stay. Unless they move out of state. Who is UHc or h1??? Are they available in CA and AZ.

$7 comm why so low what rate are u getting pay. It usually %10 with blue cross so if they pay 200 dollars a month u get 20 dollars. What service are u talking about with them. I only do blue cross usually people stay. Unless they move out of state. Who is UHc or h1??? Are they available in CA and AZ.

Hi Sales71,
The $7 is 4% of the $180.00 monthly premium. As the title of this thread states..these were 2 people I placed on AETNA. Aetna pays 4% to agents who don't write much with them. I only use Aetna for the more unhealthy prospects and when I need the lowest price possible. The smoker client was on Blue Cross and paying $275. Aetna was lower-priced than Humana One and the max smoking rate-up is 10%.

Like you, I prefer to sell higher commission health plans, but in some cases, you must give the lowest premium, or most liberal underwriting, precedence over commission. Besides, in today's world, you make the same commission on a $30.00 per month Critical Illness policy at 100% commission as you make on a $300.00 per month health insurance policy @ 10% commission. And, more than likely, the Critical Illness policy will still be in effect, and paying you residuals, much MUCH longer than the major medical.

-Allen

We have some Aetna clients on the books @ 3%, some at 7, some at 10, and some at 20%. It's crazy, all over the place. I must live in an alternate universe from some here though. We have a lot of declines and huge rate ups with them, and underwriting takes forever. We must be submitting our least healthy clients or something.

UHC? That's United Healthcare. H1 is HumanaOne. Can't say if either one is in CA. I bet they are in AZ though. Just a guess.

we all cant b big ballers like u chumps

We just sold a guy a med sup plan f with bx. Best plan for him. The problem was he is under 65, a real mess poor guy. Spent quite a while with him. The comp on under 65 med is a whopping $5 for the year. Lost money but what can you do? He also got a PDP, another $58.

Runner, you should have tried the Frank Stastny trick.

Submit as open enrollment.

Next one I get I will give it a shot and see. Beats the heck out of $5.

Back