Aetna Buys Humana

Since I'm working for chump change, it looks like I'd be eligible for a raise too. Add in mandatory overtime working 20 hr days, and bingo, I get to eat.

Aetna Inc. CEO Mark Bertolini says company has made 'commitment' to Louisville in purchase of Humana Inc. - Louisville - Louisville Business First

And Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini said lots of Humana's current employees could get a raise when the sale is final, which is expected to occur in the second half of 2016. Connecticut-based Aetna recently raised the minimum wage of its workers to $16 per hour, which will expand to Humana.

Since I'm working for chump change, it looks like I'd be eligible for a raise too. Add in mandatory overtime working 20 hr days, and bingo, I get to eat.

Aetna Inc. CEO Mark Bertolini says company has made 'commitment' to Louisville in purchase of Humana Inc. - Louisville - Louisville Business First

You missed the internal memo that identfies where these pay increases originate-remove valued partner commissions and use the savings to raise the minimum wage for those know nothing CSR who are anything but helpful.

I tend to agree with the judge, they are two separate markets.
What say you?

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/art...ntent=20170123-NEWS-170129972&utm_campaign=am

The key issue in the trial that wrapped up at the end of December concerned whether traditional fee-for-service Medicare competed with Medicare Advantage. The Justice Department argued they were separate markets and did not compete, while the insurers argued the opposite. Humana is the second-largest Medicare Advantage insurer, while Aetna is the fourth-largest and is rapidly adding more members.

In the opinion, Judge Bates wrote that most evidence shows industry stakeholders and the public view Medicare Advantage and traditional Medicare as two distinct markets and not easily substituted for one another. Supplemental Medicare plans are also unlikely to alleviate anticompetitive effects of the merger, he said.

Most telling, Bates wrote, is data from the Kaiser Family Foundation on the number of seniors who leave Medicare Advantage plans for traditional Medicare plans. “The switching data presents a clear picture: Medicare Advantage enrollees rarely switch plans, but when they do, they overwhelming stay within Medicare Advantage.”

That Bates views the Medicare Advantage and Medicare fee-for-service markets as separate is a “significant setback to the industry from a consolidation perspective,” Barclays analyst Joshua Raskin wrote in a research note Monday. Because the Medicare Advantage market is already heavily consolidated, “There are few large combinations in the industry that would seem feasible,” he said

Medicare Advantage enrollees rarely switch plans, but when they do, they overwhelming stay within Medicare Advantage.

I guess I would ask for a definition of rarely.

My understanding from brokers that market MA plans is they switch plans about every 3 - 4 years. Network changes, Rx formulary and plans that terminate trigger most of those changes.

Most MA enrollees that would like to go to original Medicare and a supplement are not able to do so because they can't pass underwriting. I get several calls during the year from people who "can't afford" their MA plan.

They can't afford it because they are going to the doctor too much. That almost always means they won't qualify for a Medigap plan.

I guess I would ask for a definition of rarely.

My understanding from brokers that market MA plans is they switch plans about every 3 - 4 years. Network changes, Rx formulary and plans that terminate trigger most of those changes.

Most MA enrollees that would like to go to original Medicare and a supplement are not able to do so because they can't pass underwriting. I get several calls during the year from people who "can't afford" their MA plan.

They can't afford it because they are going to the doctor too much. That almost always means they won't qualify for a Medigap plan.

unfortunately with some the thinking is why do I want to pay for supplement when I don't go to doc that much, ill just go MA now and when I need more cov Ill just get a Supp then, Same thinking goes into the high F as well, It is almost always too late when they want to change

why do I want to pay for supplement when I don't go to doc that much

I hear similar remarks about PDP.

Had one yesterday. Takes 6 med's. All "generic". He usually pays $4 at Walmart. "Why should I pay an extra $20/mo for a plan and pay more for my med's than I do now?".

My comeback was, "First, it doesn't matter to me if you buy a drug plan or not. But if you don't buy one now, when you do buy you will pay a lifetime penalty.".

He says "I don't think I will ever need a drug plan. Most of the med's I take now are for my heart (bypass 7 years ago). Why should I buy a plan and pay more for my med's?".

Two more times I told him it did not matter to me what he did. My job is to educate him . . . which is more difficult than most of the people I talk with.

So have you made a decision on the Medigap plan?

"I think I will go with the F plan for now. Haven't been to the doctor in a while. Probably need some tests. I want to study this a bit more and then decide. But I am still trying to figure out these drug plans and why I should buy one.".

No problem. If I don't hear from you in a week I will close your file.

I doubt he will buy from me. Even less likely he will buy the G plan I suggested initially. His mind is made up. No need to confuse him with facts.

He is a preacher. Not a minister, a preacher. For some reason I have had more challenges with preacher's than most other occ's.

Actually three. Aetna/Coventry/Humana. And Humana on the ACA side has been much better to deal with than Aetna/Coventry.

On the MAPD side, Coventry was easy to deal with until the transition last year.

Hey, I just thought of a positive. Aetna/Coventry has no issues with the agent mailing the MAPD app to the client. Hopefully we can do that with Humana now.

I wouldn't count on anything involving Aetna dealing with folks outside their organization being an improvement over previous activities. In regard to GHP customer service, the transition from Coventry to Aetna caused a dramatic decline in effectiveness.

----------

He is a preacher. Not a minister, a preacher. For some reason I have had more challenges with preacher's than most other occ's.

Struggle with praying for healing vs medical care or just very limited finances?

I wouldn't count on anything involving Aetna dealing with folks outside their organization being an improvement over previous activities. In regard to GHP customer service, the transition from Coventry to Aetna caused a dramatic decline in effectiveness.

You obviously haven't dealt with any of these companies from an agent's perspective. And since this forum is mostly agents sharing their thoughts, that is the viewpoint in which I posted that comment last year.

Back