Aetna CEO Talks About Medicare Advantage Plans

Stupid title for an article if ya asked me.

Even though the title says Obamacare, if you listen to the video he talks about Medicare Advantage plans and gives some very interesting insight...don't be mislead by the title of the video

How long was Aetna in CMS jail? Seems like it was over a year.

Well according to the CEO, they're doing great now...here in Iowa they have the best benefit package for 2014 between the big 3 (UHC, Humana, Coventry/Aetna). I'm not appointed with them because their plan is not offered in my area. If they ever move into my area I will get an appointment.

Last edited:
Good for you, but you did not answer my question. You must be new. Were you ever a cheerleader?

Good for you, but you did not answer my question. You must be new. Were you ever a cheerleader?

I think it was over a year.

On a related note, they're a very strong company with great customer service on their Medicare products. They have invested a great deal to help drive down their utilization while improving the quality of care for that segment of the population that represents the majority of healthcare spending.

Back to the "CMS jail", they screwed up by not letting their current membership now they went from an open formulary to a closed formulary which was a huge deal. I worked at Aetna as a carrier rep on their Medicare products and it's not a big surprise to me that type of an oversight happened, but the membership satisfaction rates had always been high and the programs they funded internally to further the goal of making Medicare Advantage provide better care and contain costs.

Personally I thought some of their middle managers were weak, but Mark is a sharp man and a good leader.

Somarco, I don't sell for Aetna and am not appointed with them for MAPD...I just thought the interview was interesting, why do you have to read more into it? I didn't answer your question because I personally don't know much about that Aetna CMS situation. That doesn't mean I'm "new" or a "cheerleader" fyi....

I appreciate you posting the video, I don't understand all the personal attacks on this site either but I have become used to them.

I think he makes a great point about how MA carriers were getting extra income for risk adjustment, showed a profit, are now at 106% going to 100% and are still able to show a profit.

Dems went after MA carriers because "how dare they make a profit off our tax dollars" but when the program is at 100% or lower, they will not have a soap box to argue from (I am sure they will find a new one).

Back