Aetna Commission schedule ??

chp

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
SC
I heard that in July Aetna was coming out with new plans, new features, and a new commission schedule. I finally received my initial packet from them, but it still shows that you start out on a 15% commission? You do not hit 20% until 11+ enrolled applications.

For those of you that sell Aetna, was this the case for you as well?

So far, from the time it took to just get appointed (over three months!!), to the time it takes to get supplies (two more months, and they send me one app/brochure?) to the Commission schedule...how do they expect agents to write them? I get 20% or more on all other carriers, right from the start?

Am I missing something here? Have you had good/bad experiences with Aetna?

Thanks,
chp

I do very little with paper. Almost everything is done online with all carriers including Aetna.

They are a name brand carrier with unique underwriting and middle of the road pricing. They will underwrite and issue policies on some conditions (bipolar, type II diabetes) that other carriers will not. In GA their HSA product is very price competitive as long as you have a healthy individual or family.

Thei copay plans are nothing to write home about.

I have placed more business with Aetna in the last 2 months (since they introduced new plans & pricing) than in the last 2 years.

On a scale of 1 - 10, I would make them a 7.

I heard that in July Aetna was coming out with new plans, new features, and a new commission schedule. I finally received my initial packet from them, but it still shows that you start out on a 15% commission? You do not hit 20% until 11+ enrolled applications.

For those of you that sell Aetna, was this the case for you as well?

So far, from the time it took to just get appointed (over three months!!), to the time it takes to get supplies (two more months, and they send me one app/brochure?) to the Commission schedule...how do they expect agents to write them? I get 20% or more on all other carriers, right from the start?

Am I missing something here? Have you had good/bad experiences with Aetna?

Thanks,
chp

Aetna's commissions are relatively low... I know that AHCP has a 6-month advanced contract with Aetna at 17%... zero production requirements. I'm guessing street level with most IMO's is around 18%-20% as-earned with Aetna.

I will say this... their online application is a little less user friendly than some.

They told me the same thing, 11+ apps, and also my dealings with their service just sucked. Headache after headache.

Aetna's commissions are relatively low... I know that AHCP has a 6-month advanced contract with Aetna at 17%... zero production requirements. I'm guessing street level with most IMO's is around 18%-20% as-earned with Aetna.

I will say this... their online application is a little less user friendly than some.

A little less? ha ha, that's that's very tactful.

So, for you guys/gals that sell Aetna, should I go with AHCP, or ?

I am appointed with them directly for now, have not sold anything. I do want to offer it to clients as an option, as I tell all my clients I search all the major carriers and get them the best policy at the best rate.

I will not do it for 15%, especially after the terrible first impression dealing with them.

How are you that sell appointed? Thanks, chp

i started at 20% but i know they changed that to the above refrenced by the OP. I love them, I love their app... I just got used to it.. I have never, ever, ever gotten a complaint about policy benefits and claims... now in regards to the addministration and billing side of it... they flat out suck donkeys... i do have the name and contact of Aetna billing supervison that I use when things get bad

Their $5000 co pay plan is often one of the lowest prices nationwide in a lot of states.

Plan benefits are good , of course you can nit pick like any plan. Never had a claim issue with them. I have found they are very easy to deal with overall - very little problems and underwriting is more than fair.

I believe the change in structure was because too many agents are doing relatively no production and to open up individual GA contracts - which of course I have one.

I won't advance though.

So, for you guys/gals that sell Aetna, should I go with AHCP, or ?

I am appointed with them directly for now, have not sold anything. I do want to offer it to clients as an option, as I tell all my clients I search all the major carriers and get them the best policy at the best rate.

I will not do it for 15%, especially after the terrible first impression dealing with them.

How are you that sell appointed? Thanks, chp

Aetna's UW has gotten "liberal" again. I placed two cases with them this week that had been turned down by Anthem (CA). One was rated up... but he didn't care. He had a crap UA policy (and I do mean Crap with a capital "C.")

Because of the 15% commission I only send my bad risks to them. That's what a lot of agents are doing here, so I'm told. By their stupid commish structure they are inadvertantly perpetrating adverse selection into their risk pool.

I like the Aetna reps here (Sacramento) and they DO understand the concept that "I don't work for free." But their high-salary boss (David Koren) does not... and so it is what it is.

The Jackass

I got 20% too, before the change. They were not competitive here, except for smokers and families with 14 kids. So I used them mostly for medical conditions that other carriers could not handle.

It is good to throw their name out but they are not my "go to" carrier.

Back