Aetna New Bonus Program

How do you spell that again?

A-D-V-E-R-S-E

S-E-L-E-C-T-I-O-N.

Seems to me Aetna should rethink their comp soon if they don't want that to happen. That is for us who happen to sell where they still are!

Good for smokers, the obese, type 2 diabets

They started rating for tobacco in GA maybe a couple of years ago. Rates adjusted by underwriting based on BMI and other factors. In SOME situations they can get a std rate.

Never had a single type II approved by them. Andrea must have connections.

Early on I wrote some bipolar individuals and other psych issues no one else would touch. Still have them on the books. Can't move them anywhere.

Carriers are pretty stupid with the way they position their products in the market. It is almost like they have STUPID painted on their forehead. Just ASKING for adverse selection and we are glad to accommodate them.

Never had a single type II approved by them. Andrea must have connections.

I wish! This was a while ago, and the client was just diagnosed, diet controlled. Lucky to get written. Anyway, he let his policy lapse for non-payment, and by the time he reapplied with them he was on a pill (glucophage or something). So that time, DECLINE.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Carriers are pretty stupid with the way they position their products in the market. It is almost like they have STUPID painted on their forehead. Just ASKING for adverse selection and we are glad to accommodate them.

Reminds me of a long time ago when KP had a better maternity benefit compared to everyone else (when?, can't remember). No one wanted KP, but the ones who really wanted children bought. The thing was, we wrote mom on KP and put the rest of the family on something else. Then after they were done having kids mom and baby moved to the plan the rest of the family was on. Now of course you can't get maternity period (practically, and certainly not with them). It was probably all our fault! :err:

Last edited:
True, true.

And just because their underwriting guide says they will consider it doesn't mean they will seriously consider it. Anyone have any luck getting a Diabetic through on aetna?

Came close as I ever have in placing a Type II with them. The AARP plans have genuinely relaxed uw, and this lady's ht/wt were excellent. She is taking an oral med for diabetes, and one other pill for cholesterol. Any other carrier or program, and she would have been a decline, upon receipt of the app.

Aetna actually interviewed her, ordered medical records, and then cried and prayed over them for a week. They came within a hair of making an offer, but in the end declined. If it had not been for the cholesterol med, she would have been my first diabetic issued on an IM.

Back