Aetna Plan Changes

stuy119

Guru
1000 Post Club
Just received word that Aetna is dropping almost all of their 100% coinsurance plans for groups here in IL (and various other states) as of 7/1. Groups currently on the plans will have the option to keep them (but no word on how high the renewal will be to force them out of it - my editorializing).

Looks like we're shifting costs to the Employees already via reduced coinsurance options.

I am not surprised.
Aetna went after the small group market without hiring sales people. SHOCKER that they got a ton of bad business.

Aetna's block will all be bad. All of the healthy people and groups will bail for better deals living just the sickos.

Got a notice a few weeks ago the 100% plans going bye-bye. With the pricing they had, it was almost impossible to sell an 80% plan when the 100% plan with the same deductible was just a few dollars more.

You knew that deal wouldn't last. Only surprise is it took them this long to figure it out.

Last edited:
News from Aetna Today (10/28/2010).

I suppose this is related to uncertainty over how the new MLR rules will affect them??

"Attention: Reduced quoting period for 1/1/11 effective dates.

As Aetna continues preparations for upcoming health care reform changes, including finalizing new rates, you will not be able to run quotes in IPS and Consumer Portal (CP) until after 12/10 for 1/1/11 effective dates.

This applies to Aetna Advantage Plans for Individuals, Families and the Self-Employed in all states. Please be aware it only affects plans with 1/1/11 effective dates.

These temporary limitations will reduce the quoting window to 30 days. After 12/10 the quoting window will return to 60 days."

-AC

Back