Aetna Plans Being Boycotted by Smaller Pharmacies.

G.Gordon

Guru
1000 Post Club
Missouri
Aetna Plans: Independent pharmacies all going to Standard contracts

I have had a local pharmacy emailing me for a month with comments of MAPD and PDP participations percentage numbers and other such questions.

CHANGE: The pharmacy that said they were not going to take Aetna plans is saying that they will take it, but will be standard.

I conferred with my local Coventry office, they tried to say it was not true, that they are not going to be preferred, but will be standard. I called the pharmacy, they confirmed, standard or preferred is not the problem... they are not accepting AETNA next year.

This could be a big deal.

Last edited:
I have heard something similar from an independent pharmacist I know. I don't know the details, but he isn't happy with Aetna.

Last edited:
Any specific reason, or just don't like the way they spell their name?

I think they should change their name to Edna. Harder to mispronounce

Reimbursement too low? Slow pay? No pay?

From the pharmacies it is that they "couldn't get preferred" contracts. From Aetna, it is that the pharmacy networking groups didn't want to accept the reimbursement rates.

Aetna uses CVS/Caremark for their PBM. Unless Coventry does their own, Aetna doesnt have any direct contracts with pharmacies. The Indys probably are annoyed, but they signed the damn contracts. And it may be in your area that they don't see Silver Script? But the reimbursement rates should be identical. PBMs normally don't have multiple contracts per pharmacy.
Forbes Welcome

Aetna uses CVS/Caremark for their PBM. Unless Coventry does their own, Aetna doesnt have any direct contracts with pharmacies. The Indys probably are annoyed, but they signed the damn contracts. And it may be in your area that they don't see Silver Script? But the reimbursement rates should be identical. PBMs normally don't have multiple contracts per pharmacy.
Forbes Welcome

Thanks kgmom.

Just to be clear, this is Aetna/Coventry...Correct?

Back