Aetna Pulling Out?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
What the heck is going on with Aetna? A local agent told me notices will be going out to policyholders about benefit changes and new rates.

Agents are left in the dark which is par for the course for Aetna.

Our local reps will no longer handle IMM but that will be handled by the small group reps and HO.

Then I got an email from a buddy in OH that says they are pulling their HSA plans.

That sucks, i placed minimal business with Aetna, and it has been with their HSA plan. The third most competitive HSA plan in Ohio, so now it will bump up GR to number 3. Thats good for me, better commission, but I lose a more liberal uw carrier compared to the first and second top companies in Ohio.
Shitty uw/cs dept...so good riddance. Place was run like a Steve and Barry's....lol

Reluctantly, Aetna was my "go to" carrier starting July 2008 thru last summer. Then their underwriting took a dive and I had to spread it around more.

Fine with me. I was putting too much with them to feel comfortable.

GR has not been competitive here for a couple of years (at least) but they are one of the few that still rider which turns them into a carrier of last resort.

I am left with Humana then sometimes GR and sometimes BX.

Let's be realistic most carriers are going to ditch IMM local reps. No choice with the new bill and MLR the food chain will have to shorten drastically.

I could care less about the reps. I haven't had one worth wasting a phone call or email on in 3 years. I am more interested in finding out if they are 86-ing the HSA.

Loss ratio mandates won't have that much effect on business. Carriers have very creative ways of amortizing admin costs.

Reps earn a bonus based on production. It is to their advantage to help agents place business. I use my GR, Humana & BX reps to move things through underwriting.

Since carriers like to isolate their underwriters, a good rep can be worth the time it takes to cultivate a relationship with them.

Aetna's reps have been among the worst with one exception. It doesn't hurt that I have known him for at least 15 years.

Back