Aetna, Self-Employed questions

affirmwealth

Expert
I just left my regular full-time job on July 30, 2020 to work for myself full-time. I had Aetna, which I would actually like to keep because both of my main Doctors take Aetna.

I thought my job would have allowed me to keep the Aetna for 30 days, but they terminated my plan the next day. They did send me a letter saying that I had some time to decide whether I wanted to keep my benefits through Cobra, which is over $600 per month just for me (it's just me).

I happened to mention this to a friend of mine today, and she asked me, "Don't you have your health insurance license?"

That's when I remembered that I did add health to my life insurance license just a few weeks ago. But I didn't have a plan to actually use it at the moment. But she got me to thinking...

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to sell yourself health insurance? Would that be a conflict of interest?

Getting back to the main issue, I need health coverage. Not just any coverage, but a plan that my Doctors will take. I actually like Aetna, but I saw online that they don't take self-employed?

Any tips? I'm in my late 40's, female, non-smoker, healthy.

I just left my regular full-time job on July 30, 2020 to work for myself full-time. I had Aetna, which I would actually like to keep because both of my main Doctors take Aetna.

I thought my job would have allowed me to keep the Aetna for 30 days, but they terminated my plan the next day. They did send me a letter saying that I had some time to decide whether I wanted to keep my benefits through Cobra, which is over $600 per month just for me (it's just me).

I happened to mention this to a friend of mine today, and she asked me, "Don't you have your health insurance license?"

That's when I remembered that I did add health to my life insurance license just a few weeks ago. But I didn't have a plan to actually use it at the moment. But she got me to thinking...

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to sell yourself health insurance? Would that be a conflict of interest?

Getting back to the main issue, I need health coverage. Not just any coverage, but a plan that my Doctors will take. I actually like Aetna, but I saw online that they don't take self-employed?

Any tips? I'm in my late 40's, female, non-smoker, healthy.

1. if you left your employer 2 days later, it would have lasted another month.
2. Your doctors take other insurance carriers/networks besides Aetna.
3. Self employed insurance = Private insurance = Obamacare or Short term major medical.
4. You have a license, but obviously don't have any clue about health insurance.
5. Yes you can write your own policy, be the agent of record, and get paid a commission ($20/mo), but I'd suggest you find an agent in your state to write the policy for you for the first year.
6. By using a veteran agent, you'll actually learn something and get a good lesson. Plus, they'll actually help you keep your doctors, and probably save more than $20/mo in premiums.

Do no harm, don't harm yourself, find a licensed professional that actually has written a couple hundred policies, and has had their license for more than 2 days. (learn from them)

If you really want a lesson, put your phone number out on private health insurance quote website, and get bombarded by 30 agents calling you, and you'll get a sense of what your prospects will go through, with 30 different sales pitches, find out the good carriers, and uncover the bad carriers/products. (Not recommended if you want to keep your sanity)

1. if you left your employer 2 days later, it would have lasted another month.
2. Your doctors take other insurance carriers/networks besides Aetna.
3. Self employed insurance = Private insurance = Obamacare or Short term major medical.
4. You have a license, but obviously don't have any clue about health insurance.
5. Yes you can write your own policy, be the agent of record, and get paid a commission ($20/mo), but I'd suggest you find an agent in your state to write the policy for you for the first year.
6. By using a veteran agent, you'll actually learn something and get a good lesson. Plus, they'll actually help you keep your doctors, and probably save more than $20/mo in premiums.

Do no harm, don't harm yourself, find a licensed professional that actually has written a couple hundred policies, and has had their license for more than 2 days. (learn from them)

If you really want a lesson, put your phone number out on private health insurance quote website, and get bombarded by 30 agents calling you, and you'll get a sense of what your prospects will go through, with 30 different sales pitches, find out the good carriers, and uncover the bad carriers/products. (Not recommended if you want to keep your sanity)

You respond as if I don't know what I'm experiencing in my own life.

They terminated my insurance the next day. The explanation that I got is that they terminate your insurance on the last day of the month that you leave the job.

I left on July 30, so they terminated my insurance on July 31. I was shocked too.

Confirmation of this (besides their letter) occurred on Wednesday when I went to fill a prescription. I had to pay full price.

I was only asking a simple question about selling myself health insurance. I stated that I just got my health insurance license a few weeks ago. No need to be insulting.

Having said that, you did make a good point about my Doctors taking other insurance. I will need to contact them to see which carriers they take.

I just am partial to Aetna because I had a minimally invasive surgical procedure in July, and Aetna covered the procedure. Cigna would not cover it.

They terminated my insurance the next day. The explanation that I got is that they terminate your insurance on the last day of the month that you leave the job.

I left on July 30, so they terminated my insurance on July 31. I was shocked too.

Confirmation of this (besides their letter) occurred on Wednesday when I went to fill a prescription. I had to pay full price.

I was only asking a simple question about selling myself health insurance. I stated that I just got my health insurance license a few weeks ago. No need to be insulting.

Having said that, you did make a good point about my Doctors taking other insurance. I will need to contact them to see which carriers they take.

I just am partial to Aetna because I had a minimally invasive surgical procedure in July, and Aetna covered the procedure. Cigna would not cover it.

Group policies can have a variety of term dates, including immediately, end of month, etc. Do not be shocked.

Take a breath and relax, since you are eligible for COBRA you have the luxury of time to decide what you want to do for coverage.

I am in the group medical business, while $600 is a large number, it does not surprise me.

Good luck with your search

Technically, if you accept the Cobra coverage, you are not eligible for SEP under ACA.
You can use the 60 day loss of group coverage as your SEP though (hint).
You cannot get ACA retroactive, eff 1st of the following month if loss of coverage.

Yes, you can get paid on your own policy, but it's not worth the effort to get appointed with a carrier to just write 1 policy, they may frown upon if the volume = 1 (yourself only).

I made other good points, but just ignore them, or just pick the ones you like (Aetna Dr's).
I stated if you left Aug 1st, it would have lasted to Aug 31st. (2 days later).

ACA plans will be dictated by the state you live in.
Price will be dictated by your income.
Find an agent in your state.
Write yourself the following year if you care to get the commission.

I guess they left off the Obamacare questions on the health exam.
Or, like most people, living under a rock not knowing what Obamacare accomplished.
I learned nothing by taking a test, it all came when I had to apply it to actually producing.
Don't experiment with yourself.

Good luck. I initially responded because nobody else cared to step up.
Your welcome.

Group policies can have a variety of term dates, including immediately, end of month, etc. Do not be shocked.

Caveat, not an agent.

This is an important lesson. Sorry you had to learn it this way. It is knowledge that may be of use to you in the future at another job.

That awareness has benefited me twice in this century.

edit
If you choose to go the cobra route, you may be able to submit the prescription bill manually yourself.
end edit.

Caveat, not an agent.

I see yagents has responded in this thread. I do not like him. He does not like me.

However:

After seeing his posts for a number of years, I believe him to be a very capable and knowledgeable agent.

You would do well to ignore the roughness of his edges and study on his advice.

Back