Aetna Vs. Assurant...

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
In this corner....OK, this isn't really a fight. But consider this:

Female 47 5-7 135 pound smoker in great health. I'm using Montgomery County (Ohio) for this little futile exercise.

Aetna PPO 2500 vs. Assurant MaxPlan $2500 Ded. Fairly similar policies.

Monthly rates:

Aetna- $142

Assurant- $423

I am not trying to make a point that Aetna's rate is fantastic or Assurant's rate is horrible. I am simply questioning how two different actuarial departments can justifiably come up with these figures? Yes, I know Aetna does not charge for smoking if you are a preferred risk. But this is rediculous.

That's all I'm going to say about that right now. However, for your viewing pleasure, I have posted a picture of a complete stranger. I assume she does not work for either Aetna or Assurant. Grammatically, I could have left out the word "either" from that last sentence. But I chose not to.

nutty.jpg

Aetna must have the better PPO . . .

Actually, I scratch my head from time to time as well over pricing. Most carriers for similar plans should be no more than 10 - 15% apart. Yet I will sometimes see a carrier that is double what everyone else is charging. You have to figure the lone duck that is asking for twice the market rate must have something really bad wrong with their rate structure.

I ran rates a few days ago for a 61 yr old female in St Simons. Usually in that part of the world Blue has a lock but Aetna came in surprisingly close. For chuckles & grins I ran Time numbers since Time seems to be competitive in the 55+ range more so than at younger ages.

Totally blown away. Their rates were double Blue & Aetna.

A week before I ran rates for a 40 female in Columbus. Aetna looked good, so did Golden Rule. I plugged in numbers for Time Max plan and came up slightly less than either. Then I pulled the copay (saving $90/month) and the lady couldn't believe I could cut her current premium in half and lock the rate in for 3 years with very little sacrifice on benefit.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either.

aetna does not load for smokers.....my smokers have always gone to aetna in the past 3 years here in texas....

Aetna is without question (in my opinion) better than Assurant. This is like comparing Lexus to Chevy.

Aetna does not specifically rate tobacco - HOWEVER they now factor BMI in a big way so depending on the BMI of this person you could be looking at a 25% or 50% rate up.

Either way I believe Aetna is a great company, I can not say one bad thing about them - my customer satisfaction with them is very high.

Aetna is without question (in my opinion) better than Assurant. This is like comparing Lexus to Chevy.

Aetna does not specifically rate tobacco - HOWEVER they now factor BMI in a big way so depending on the BMI of this person you could be looking at a 25% or 50% rate up.

Either way I believe Aetna is a great company, I can not say one bad thing about them - my customer satisfaction with them is very high.

Don't follow you on the Lexus/Chevy reference. In MD Aetna has 24 days/$25 cap per day on therapy, $5,000 cap on meds, $1,000 cap on DBE and no coverage for anything pre-ex unless they have prior creditable coverage.

Back