Aetna's Online App

Anyone get client complaints about their online app system?

I would like to start using it again, but people kept calling me back with problems about "signing in" when they went back to it, trouble submitting, etc.

I realize that high volume producers will lose a few clients and never know about it, but my volume in health insurance is fairly low and after I received a couple of calls that they'd done their health and wanted to get back to the life or di or whatever, and I'm like no you d'nt? The problem has spanned all ages 18-50.

For Aetna's online app, you must use internet explorer.
If client didn't finish the app before required submission date, they must use a new email address to register.
Another issue is the formats of their date fields, follow instructions on each page.

For Aetna's online app, you must use internet explorer.
If client didn't finish the app before required submission date, they must use a new email address to register.
Another issue is the formats of their date fields, follow instructions on each page.

Yes, all that and more, but thing thing that gets me is I rarely get complaints about any of the other carrier's online apps, and I use them all (imeo humana's is the best).

I've heard people doing a lot of Aetna online, and I really don't know how they're getting it done, without a lot of extra time offering tech support.

The last complaint that I had the girl was like 23 and educated. She had so much trouble, even with my persistent coaching that she just said, I don't have time for this s-word, and that was it.

That was about 3 months ago and since then, I've been too gun shy to do anything but send a pdf and ask them to scan, fax or mail.

I frown upon online apps for a few reasons.

they take forever
client gets frustrated and fails to complete
agent ID somehow goes missing and we don't get credit

I always ask the client to complete the paper app and fax it or scan and email it so we can scrub for errors and correct them. I also tell them it speeds up the process, which it usually does.

Joe

I frown upon online apps for a few reasons.

they take forever
client gets frustrated and fails to complete
agent ID somehow goes missing and we don't get credit

I always ask the client to complete the paper app and fax it or scan and email it so we can scrub for errors and correct them. I also tell them it speeds up the process, which it usually does.

Joe

Perfectly said. I agree with your sentiments and also with your way of processing apps. It's not because I'm "old school" and don't understand technology. It is because scrubbing the faxed or scan/emailed paper app is better in the long run.

How long are your IFP apps? Ours are like 29 pages long. Way too much to handle by paper. The PDF copy of an online Anthem application out here with any drill down questions can be almost 40 pages.

Also, our carriers have the 15-30 day blackout rule, so paper apps even faxed can delay start dates quite a bit. Online kills no forests and hits as received date the second they hit the submit button.

How long are your IFP apps? Ours are like 29 pages long. Way too much to handle by paper. The PDF copy of an online Anthem application out here with any drill down questions can be almost 40 pages.

Also, our carriers have the 15-30 day blackout rule, so paper apps even faxed can delay start dates quite a bit. Online kills no forests and hits as received date the second they hit the submit button.

Hi Dave,

most medically underwritten BCBS apps in PA average 12-15 pages. Some of the online apps are brutal to get thru and others are fairly adequate but I always prefer the paper app so we can scrub for errors. How many applications do you see that are actually completed properly the first time? For us, I would say one in 10.

Cheers,
Joe

Funny, 95% of my online apps are done correctly, because it won't let you complete it unless filling in the required fields. The other 5% are additional disclosures the client forgot, that I do online before endorsing the policy, or call them with it, or tell the client to disclose in the phone interview.

Yes, the app is a pain, but I stay on the phone to make sure they get in past registration, then tell them to call me if they get hung up on something, and give them prior instructions on typical pitfalls to look for in the online application, or just stay on the phone with them as they fill it out.

Latest posts

Back