After 22 years....

HomeService

Guru
1000 Post Club
Austin, TX
I am still trying to figure out my life here in the L&H insurance field. I am about ready to give up. Doom and gloom. I need some positive re-inforcement. I need some help.

Background: started in Iowa in 1986 trying to sell Pioneer life med supp to seniors for $66 per month - when they had BC/BS for like $39 per qtr. ha ha - told them all to keep BC.

Next, moved to NY and worked for Mutual of Omaha, really enjoyed it, really a lot.

Moved to TX 1990, Mutual had not gotten their act together here, nor did I, went to debit life work and enjoyed that a lot. Really enjoyed it.

Burned out, went into some other field, around 1996.

Still kept the "insurance bug", but never really did anything about it. Kept up my license. Still have it. Did the license renewal with the continuing ed.

Now, starting in 2005, been looking around, have not found much around here that interests me. Austin TX. Still here, messing around, not motivated, not finding anything, no motivation to be a broker. May go into some other field, who knows. Looked at Mutual again, let us just say : no, not right now. The debit co's are kind of intriguing, but they think I may burn out again. They are right, btw. Burned out, before I ever started back into selling. I think that I project negativity in my interviews. {lol}

That's a tough one PQ. I've been in the industry for 25 years and remember well coming to a similar point about 11 years into my career. I was discussing my quandary with a trusted friend and advisor I considered successful in this industry.

He made a statement that put me back on my heels. After sharing my frustrations with him he said, "Brad, you haven't been in the business for 11 years, you've been in the business one year and simply repeated that over and over."

I slinked away from that conversation and vowed to build something all over again with the guidance and direction of a mentor. I had someone in mind and asked if he'd guide me. I'm fortunate he said yes. I'm sure you'll hear in the coming days many ways to get back on track, and many of them will be good.

Sift through them, find the one that resonates and then get back into the game. Write a life plan and a business plan and find someone to hold you accountable to those commitments. Read (a lot) and continue your life and insurance education and know that with perserverance you can enjoy success in this industry. This is surely an industry that demands payment in full up front before success comes back to you. You've got the skills, now find the plan and the guidance that holds you to it........

With all the negatives involved in the insurance field I can't imagine going into any other sales field.

For me, the one of the greatest benefits for selling health is no credit checks. Most sales fields require consumer credit checks and it's a huge deal-killer.

I love the ability to sell online and work from home - I can meet clients but on my terms; no nights or weekends.

I love being independent and not having "Aetna" call me on Friday:

"John, we really have to meet and talk about your production"

I hate that stuff.

I feel your frustration...really. It's terrible to want to work,to want to find your "special place", to make the kind of money you've always been capable of, and then not be able to find the right situation for you to accomplish what you know you can.

After 22 years it's past time for you to find your groove. It may that you just haven't found the right insurance situation for you. It may also be that insurance is not for you. There would be no shame in that. You must begin to compress time and get more for the years you have left. Decide very soon if the insurance business is for you, if not, move on quickly. If you need to be retrained, do it, if you need to go back to school, do it, you're not too old. It is time to make decisions quickly and not drag out the process.

Have you ever taken a personality profile test? These can help you determine if you are a boss/manager/business owner type personality or more of a sales type guy. I took the DISC test and it helped me understand my weaknesses and what to do to maximize my strengths.

What makes you mad? What do you see in everyday life that you know needs to change or to be done differently? Do you have the answers?

What would you do if you didn't need to make money doing it? Would you spend your day talking with people about finances?

Do you walk into a business and immediately see numerous things that need to be done differently?

I'm sure you are a highly capable person, it's time for you to find your place, it's time to kick some butt. Best of luck to you!

You folks make great points. What would I do if it weren't for money and was really just for fun? Something with classic cars. Talk about a volitile market! The muscle cars go from being 75K to 25k and back to 100K , especially if you are Barrett Jackson auction house. ha ha

With all the negatives involved in the insurance field I can't imagine going into any other sales field.

For me, the one of the greatest benefits for selling health is no credit checks. Most sales fields require consumer credit checks and it's a huge deal-killer.

I love the ability to sell online and work from home - I can meet clients but on my terms; no nights or weekends.

I love being independent and not having "Aetna" call me on Friday:

"John, we really have to meet and talk about your production"

I hate that stuff.

Back when I sold motorcycles, we could sell you regardless of health but you had to have decent credit.

With insurance we can sell you regardless of credit but you have to have decent health.

The grass is always greener...

Actually...if we could make a health insurance policy that had payments of $500 a month but they throw in a free motorcycle...hmmmmmmmm, We might have something here!

Back