Agency Going Paperless

benefitsman

Agency just started using "paperport" software program with scanners to reduce files/paper in the office...any others using this program and any ideas/tips/suggestions on using ?

Agency just started using "paperport" software program with scanners to reduce files/paper in the office...any others using this program and any ideas/tips/suggestions on using ?

I use Paperport. I wouldn't say I'm paperless but I have easy access to all my files with it.

I really like how you can type in the forms with it and print them out just for signatures. You can also attach the forms directly to the contact in ACT. Works great.

Another great program to save on paper is "fineprint." Best $50 I ever spent.

I use Paperport. I wouldn't say I'm paperless but I have easy access to all my files with it.

I really like how you can type in the forms with it and print them out just for signatures. You can also attach the forms directly to the contact in ACT. Works great.

Another great program to save on paper is "fineprint." Best $50 I ever spent.

Fineprint is awesome.

Once you have over 100,000 contacts ACT runs slow when attaching files, we stopped doing it a long time ago - ACT is a great program, but is the 800lb Gorilla on my network.

I use paperport. It works pretty well for keeping things organized, if you have a scanner that can keep up with your work flow.

I go through a LOT of paper, so it's a chore, but overall, it's better than buying filing cabinets :)

If you are going to use paperport, I highly recommend the professional version. It gives you a few more features than the standard version, but in a lot of situations, it saves enough time to be worth it. The biggest one for me is more scanner profiles, allowing me to setup duplex scan, black and white, color, etc, without having to modify things for the obscure scans.

Some pointers:
- Make sure when you scan it gets addes to your all in one search. This is how you'll find something when it gets misfiled. If you don't know what this is, look it up in paperport, but basically, it ocr's the document and lets you search for it later. Some documents don't work so well for this, which is why I like the additional profiles.
- The pro version will monitor a folder in your email and import the documents. I get faxes via email (several per day) and this allows them to be imported into paperport without any additional work on my part. I do eventually move them to the appropriate clients folder.
- Backup, backup, backup. The engineer in me actually has me using subversion to 'check-in' my documents. This does a few things, prevents me from accidently deleting them, allows me to mirror them on my laptop without any real effort, and stores them remotely (and securely) just in case something happens. Besides, subversion is free (your hosting may vary).
- Check your scans from time to time. It's funny, but the document you need will suddenly be the one that didn't scan correctly.
- Buy a good shredder. Okay, you have to do something with the paper once your done with it :)

Dan

I use paperport. It works pretty well for keeping things organized, if you have a scanner that can keep up with your work flow.

I go through a LOT of paper, so it's a chore, but overall, it's better than buying filing cabinets :)

If you are going to use paperport, I highly recommend the professional version. It gives you a few more features than the standard version, but in a lot of situations, it saves enough time to be worth it. The biggest one for me is more scanner profiles, allowing me to setup duplex scan, black and white, color, etc, without having to modify things for the obscure scans.

Some pointers:
- Make sure when you scan it gets addes to your all in one search. This is how you'll find something when it gets misfiled. If you don't know what this is, look it up in paperport, but basically, it ocr's the document and lets you search for it later. Some documents don't work so well for this, which is why I like the additional profiles.
- The pro version will monitor a folder in your email and import the documents. I get faxes via email (several per day) and this allows them to be imported into paperport without any additional work on my part. I do eventually move them to the appropriate clients folder.
- Backup, backup, backup. The engineer in me actually has me using subversion to 'check-in' my documents. This does a few things, prevents me from accidently deleting them, allows me to mirror them on my laptop without any real effort, and stores them remotely (and securely) just in case something happens. Besides, subversion is free (your hosting may vary).
- Check your scans from time to time. It's funny, but the document you need will suddenly be the one that didn't scan correctly.
- Buy a good shredder. Okay, you have to do something with the paper once your done with it :)

Dan

Back