Agent of Record Change

Krono

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have a lady that wants health insurance. Problem is, her husband has a plan with the same carrier, and his Agent of Record is someone else. They no longer have ties to this agent, and haven't heard from him in the two years since they bought the plan.

I have sold them on the idea of an HSA, therefore they want to change his individual plan to an HSA and add her to it, and they want me to be their agent. The carrier has told me that I will NOT get any commish (will go to other agent) unless their current agent signs the release. I figure the odds on that happening are small, however, does the client have the right to require that the agent release them as a client? Do I have any other recourse should he not sign?

I'm sure it's different in every state and every company that uses the BSBC name. I have done an agent of record change on many policies here with BCBS, all that was required was a signed letter from the client stating that they want me as their agent of record. You will only get renewal commish if it's been longer than the year with most companies.

Have the client call his current broker or the one who signed them up and ask him why he hasn't been calling them to go over new plans and options. If the client asks for a release I'm sure the broker would agree. Or at least I would if I gave that bad of customer service!

What if you place her on a new HSA policy as primary (you are the agent of record for her) then move him over to it afterword? Who is the company?

I have a lady that wants health insurance. Problem is, her husband has a plan with the same carrier, and his Agent of Record is someone else. They no longer have ties to this agent, and haven't heard from him in the two years since they bought the plan.

I have sold them on the idea of an HSA, therefore they want to change his individual plan to an HSA and add her to it, and they want me to be their agent. The carrier has told me that I will NOT get any commish (will go to other agent) unless their current agent signs the release. I figure the odds on that happening are small, however, does the client have the right to require that the agent release them as a client? Do I have any other recourse should he not sign?

hahahahahaha....thats why I like Unicare.......but first off you really do not want to put both on the same HSA with them.....I usually split the risk and write a sep. policy on each because of the when the big hosp bill hits in any one given year it going to be on one person not both in any one given year....OR how about this write the HSA on her and then add him to her plan......then split them....

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'll see if I can't get the customer (she's a pistol!) to 'make' the old agent sign the release...if not, plan b...

Back