Agent of Record Tactics

I have found these agent of record changes are mostly aggressive agents just tricking old people into making a change they really don't want to make. Every time this happens I go see my clients and change it right back. But often the agent that tried to manipulate my client into changing the agent of record wrote another piece of business then tried to take my renewals.

Guess what happens to the business they wrote??? I replace that Sh@T every time. They go after $200 in AOR renewal income and lose a $700 final expense commission.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered!

I'm sure there are exceptions where the replacing agent brought some value and the client wasn't being represented properly by the existing agent. But normally the conversation goes like this - "Did you know that agent you met the other day had you sign a form stating that I would no longer be your agent?" answer. "They didn't tell me I was signing that". Then they get pissed that they were tricked. I haven't had them file complaints with CMS yet, but I see this type of activity picking up and I think I'll have to get more aggressive in the future.

Don't be an AOR whore!

I have found these agent of record changes are mostly aggressive agents just tricking old people into making a change they really don't want to make. Every time this happens I go see my clients and change it right back. But often the agent that tried to manipulate my client into changing the agent of record wrote another piece of business then tried to take my renewals. Guess what happens to the business they wrote??? I replace that Sh@T every time. They go after $200 in AOR renewal income and lose a $700 final expense commission. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered! I'm sure there are exceptions where the replacing agent brought some value and the client wasn't being represented properly by the existing agent. But normally the conversation goes like this - "Did you know that agent you met the other day had you sign a form stating that I would no longer be your agent?" answer. "They didn't tell me I was signing that". Then they get pissed that they were tricked. I haven't had them file complaints with CMS yet, but I see this type of activity picking up and I think I'll have to get more aggressive in the future. Don't be an AOR whore!

My experience exactly. The ones that have been changed are from Bankers Life and Casualty. And it's easy to go right back and fix it and replace all their high priced garbage. They do train those guys to sell at BL because they always placed multiple products. If they weren't so easy to beat they could be a tough competitor.

Humana is the one who allows the AOR changes. The only ones I've done are ones where they actually have needed servicing. Just something not right about flipping policies that you have no intention of servicing. And believe me MAPD people can be high maintenance.

I have found these agent of record changes are mostly aggressive agents just tricking old people into making a change they really don't want to make. Every time this happens I go see my clients and change it right back. But often the agent that tried to manipulate my client into changing the agent of record wrote another piece of business then tried to take my renewals.

Guess what happens to the business they wrote??? I replace that Sh@T every time. They go after $200 in AOR renewal income and lose a $700 final expense commission.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered!

I'm sure there are exceptions where the replacing agent brought some value and the client wasn't being represented properly by the existing agent. But normally the conversation goes like this - "Did you know that agent you met the other day had you sign a form stating that I would no longer be your agent?" answer. "They didn't tell me I was signing that". Then they get pissed that they were tricked. I haven't had them file complaints with CMS yet, but I see this type of activity picking up and I think I'll have to get more aggressive in the future.

Don't be an AOR whore!

Never worked the MA market but are the commissions not vested? If so, how can the other agent capture them?

If you have done a good job for your client, and stayed in touch, you will rarely be replaced.

If I still wrote MA plans and was certified I run into many of these Humana plans that I could AOR. Since I do sell med sups I ask every person I talk to who they have their med sup with.

Since I work FE leads most do not have med sups even though they all say they do. With a little digging I find they have MA plans and just call it their med sup. Tues of this week I could have AOR'ed 3 of them if I was certified and appointed with Humana. And these folks need an agent. None of them knew who their agent is or if they even have an agent.

BUT, as I told Spur at dinner Tues night and I've told Newby, there is one very active captive Humana agent in this area and you will not AOR his stuff.

You will never ask a client of his who their agent is and them not know. He stays on top of his business and he stays in touch. If someone were to "trick" one of his into signing the AOR then he would get changed back. He is very good at what he does and doing what he supposed to do.

Also, this is not as simple as just having them sign something. The person has to write out the request for change. Not just sign something an agent fills out. For someone to claim they didn't know what they signed would be hard to believe.

I agree that you are accepting servicing responsibilities when you do the AOR and if you are not willing to do that then don't do the AOR.

I haven't done MA business for several years now but it was very high maintenance when I did. Especially the duals. And we were heavy in PFFS then so that's high maintenance in itself.

----------

If the agent has vested commissions, then an AOR will not switch the commissions to you but it would allow you to service the business.. for free... The only commission you will receive will be the commission on any new business you generate as a result of the AOR

In the case of Humana MA plans the new agent gets the renewals.

Also, the captive Humana agents are quick to get the client to file CMS complaints. If you AOR one of their in house clients amen of them always find a way to get a complaint filed and they do terminate agents after a couple complaints.

I had one try and get a complaint file against me for writing on the summary of benefits. It didn't happen but could have been a problem and I would have been found "at fault"

Back