Agent of Record Tactics

Uh Oh the ETHICS POLICE is on patrol. Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Not throwing stones just telling what I do. I have AOR changed a few through the years but it's a small % of the ones I sell.

I agree with you that if someone has no idea who the agent is it's probably fine to just become their agent. But you also need to make sure that your accessible to be the agent when they need you. With MAPD's it's not just a free ride. They have issues sometimes.

I have found these agent of record changes are mostly aggressive agents just tricking old people into making a change they really don't want to make. Every time this happens I go see my clients and change it right back. But often the agent that tried to manipulate my client into changing the agent of record wrote another piece of business then tried to take my renewals.

Guess what happens to the business they wrote??? I replace that Sh@T every time. They go after $200 in AOR renewal income and lose a $700 final expense commission.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered!

I'm sure there are exceptions where the replacing agent brought some value and the client wasn't being represented properly by the existing agent. But normally the conversation goes like this - "Did you know that agent you met the other day had you sign a form stating that I would no longer be your agent?" answer. "They didn't tell me I was signing that". Then they get pissed that they were tricked. I haven't had them file complaints with CMS yet, but I see this type of activity picking up and I think I'll have to get more aggressive in the future.

Don't be an AOR whore!

What if the client has called and you are no longer in the business? Am I still a whore? Please advise.

What if the client has called and you are no longer in the business? Am I still a whore? Please advise.

No Bob you are not. I'm referring to the agents that make it their practice to do this without offering anything of value to the client. Also, more specifically, the agent that lies to the client when getting this change made.

There are a few in the upstate of SC and western NC that do this constantly. Same guys pops up over and over with agents I know. They must be working hard - you'd think they would focus on new biz.

If the clients truely did not know what they where signing why don't they write a letter to the company and file a complaint with the commissioner?

Back