Agent Replacing Policy by Clean Sheeting...

dabulls

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi,

So recently I found out that an agent came in behind me and wrote a husband and wife that I wrote 3 months ago. I knew there had to be something fishy as I wrote them with the very best rates they could qualify for (2 different carriers). They are both chain smokers. I know they still smoke as I was over at their house a month and a half ago, and had to change clothes mid-day.

Well I come to find out the agent re-wrote them with settlers gold non-tobacco. So obviously the price would be lower vs. a Tobacco rating with all carriers. I talked to the insured on the phone and scheduled to meet with them next week.

So, what would you guys do in this situation. I know the other agent lied just to make a buck (2300AP). I am contracted with settlers, but have never used them. Do they have POS that the insured answers yes/no to the tobacco question or is that strictly on the agent? Would you call the agent and confront him or Settlers? Lastly, should I report this agent?

Thanks for all your help guys. It sucks we have to deal with dishonest agents who screw with clients, carriers, and agents with morals....

Last edited:
Hi,

So recently I found out that an agent came in behind me and wrote a husband and wife that I wrote 3 months ago. I knew there had to be something fishy as I wrote them with the very best rates they could qualify for (2 different carriers). They are both chain smokers. I know they still smoke as I was over at their house a month and a half ago, and had to change clothes mid-day.

Well I come to find out the agent re-wrote them with settlers gold. So obviously the price would be lower vs. a Tobacco rating with all carriers. I talked to the insured on the phone and scheduled to meet with them next week.

So, what would you guys do in this situation. I know the other agent lied just to make a buck (2300AP). I am contracted with settlers, but have never used them. Do they have POS that the insured answers yes/no to the tobacco question or is that strictly on the agent? Would you call the agent and confront him or Settlers? Lastly, should I report this agent?

Thanks for all your help guys. It sucks we have to deal with dishonest agents who screw with clients, carriers, and agents with morals....

The insured would have had to been a part of it.. The POS would have asked about tobacco use. The best you can do is tell them the consequences of the policy being issued with the wrong smoking status.....Of course you put all the blame on the agent and don't even hint they were a part of it. :yes:

Last edited:
The insured would have had to been a part of it.. The POS would have asked about tobacco use. The best you can do is tell them the consequences of the policy being issued with the wrong smoking status.....Of course you putting all the blame on the agent and don't even hint they were a part of it. :yes:

I gotcha. I know the clients weren't hiding the fact that they smoked. The agent had to say "I can save you this much money a month if you say you don't smoke."

My first year in medicare and final expense I was with a local MGA that was like Bankers Life's bastard child. They did all this shady stuff as well. A few guys got caught for insurance fraud (with ULs and Annuities) and lost their license. I got out of there as quickly as possible lol

Hi, So recently I found out that an agent came in behind me and wrote a husband and wife that I wrote 3 months ago. I knew there had to be something fishy as I wrote them with the very best rates they could qualify for (2 different carriers). They are both chain smokers. I know they still smoke as I was over at their house a month and a half ago, and had to change clothes mid-day. Well I come to find out the agent re-wrote them with settlers gold non-tobacco. So obviously the price would be lower vs. a Tobacco rating with all carriers. I talked to the insured on the phone and scheduled to meet with them next week. So, what would you guys do in this situation. I know the other agent lied just to make a buck (2300AP). I am contracted with settlers, but have never used them. Do they have POS that the insured answers yes/no to the tobacco question or is that strictly on the agent? Would you call the agent and confront him or Settlers? Lastly, should I report this agent? Thanks for all your help guys. It sucks we have to deal with dishonest agents who screw with clients, carriers, and agents with morals....

Settlers is not a company that would tolerate an agent clean sheeting for very long. If you can't get the applicant to see the light I would call Settlers and speak to them. Make certain you are speaking to a manager over quality of business. Let him know exactly what happened.

I can't promise you they will take action that will fix this case. There is always a lot of agent vs. agent complaining. But they do watch their producing agents much closer than larger companies do. A clean sheeter isn't going to fly under the radar with them.

Hi,

Well I come to find out the agent re-wrote them with settlers gold non-tobacco. So obviously the price would be lower vs. a Tobacco rating with all carriers. I talked to the insured on the phone and scheduled to meet with them next week.

Settlers has a very long and painful interview. They also ask the tobacco question several times. You may be right that the agent advised them to say no but that doesn't excuse it. They were asked at least 3 times on the phone if they smoked and they had to answer no each time.

Settlers will probably throw the agent under the bus if you bring it to their attention but they shouldn't. If this went down like you say then the applicants are liars.

Settlers has a very long and painful interview. They also ask the tobacco question several times. You may be right that the agent advised them to say no but that doesn't excuse it. They were asked at least 3 times on the phone if they smoked and they had to answer no each time.

Settlers will probably throw the agent under the bus if you bring it to their attention but they shouldn't. If this went down like you say then the applicants are liars.

But if it was that obvious that the folks smoked, the agent had to be one too. I can't imagine you or any reputable agent walking into a house that reeked of smoke, ashtrays sitting around full of butts; knowing only two people lived in the house sending in an app where you checked they were non smokers.

Settlers is not a company that would tolerate an agent clean sheeting for very long. If you can't get the applicant to see the light I would call Settlers and speak to them. Make certain you are speaking to a manager over quality of business. Let him know exactly what happened.

I can't promise you they will take action that will fix this case. There is always a lot of agent vs. agent complaining. But they do watch their producing agents much closer than larger companies do. A clean sheeter isn't going to fly under the radar with them.

Yeah he didn't fill out a replacement form either... What would you say to the insured?

----------

But if it was that obvious that the folks smoked, the agent had to be one too. I can't imagine you or any reputable agent walking into a house that reeked of smoke, ashtrays sitting around full of butts; knowing only two people lived in the house sending in an app where you checked they were non smokers.

I know for a fact the agent knew. He probably first quoted them as smokers and saw he couldn't beat my price (especially since one had another bday) so he quoted NT to wrote the business. It's slimy and makes our job harder than it already is...

I agree. But I wasn't there so I'm not going to blame the agent as my first target. It seems that other agents are very quick to blame the other agent.

Now I see that the other agent didn't do a replacement form either. That's more information that says maybe the agent was in on it. But it's still not just on the agent. Settlers asks about tobacco use several times on the interview.

Even if it's true that they were coached to lie, they still lied.

----------

Yeah he didn't fill out a replacement form either... What would you say to the insured?

----------

I know for a fact the agent knew. He probably first quoted them as smokers and saw he couldn't beat my price (especially since one had another bday) so he quoted NT to wrote the business. It's slimy and makes our job harder than it already is...

You are probably right but they still had to agree to lie if you are correct. That's just as inexcusable.

I agree. But I wasn't there so I'm not going to blame the agent as my first target. It seems that other agents are very quick to blame the other agent.

Now I see that the other agent didn't do a replacement form either. That's more information that says maybe the agent was in on it. But it's still not just on the agent. Settlers asks about tobacco use several times on the interview.

Even if it's true that they were coached to lie, they still lied.

----------

You are probably right but they still had to agree to lie if you are correct. That's just as inexcusable.

I completely agree JD the client is at fault as well. The thing is, the agent is the professional with a license and is required to do what's best for the client but yes clients will lie to save money. I just won't ever knowingly commit fraud....

I completely agree JD the client is at fault as well. The thing is, the agent is the professional with a license and is required to do what's best for the client but yes clients will lie to save money. I just won't ever knowingly commit fraud....

My point is, do you still want them as clients after getting this resolved?

Back