Agents don't mention PUA rider, why?

Mar 24, 2019

1. ls015

ls015 Expert

State:
    California
    Majority of agents don't design WLs with PUA riders. They will blend with term insurance and that's it. Mostly, base premium it is. I wonder why? Is it commission or something else?

ls015, Mar 24, 2019
  2. DHK

DHK "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

State:
    California
    Vast majority of agents don't know how or why to recommend a max-funded policy to the MEC guidelines. So they ask for how much the client can afford... and design the most protection for the premium, which is usually a blend of base WL and term. Perhaps using the future dividends to convert the term to permanent long-term. (A death-benefit only design.)

And if they work THAT way, then designing a plan with higher expertise will actually cut their commission than if they didn't.

DHK, Mar 24, 2019
  3. ls015

ls015 Expert

State:
    California
    But doesn't PUA premium generate commission too? Something like 2%? 2% of much larger PUA premium is greater than 1 time of 100% of base premium, isn't it?

I am not sure if it's 2% every year or just one time of PUA premium.

ls015, Mar 24, 2019
  4. DHK

State:
    California
    Comparing 2% vs 45% for term rider and 55% base WL... which do you think the AGENCY wants you to sell?

If you have $10,000 per year to work with... and you're going to put $5,000 in the PUA rider... that's only 2% x $5,000 = $100. I'm pretty sure the difference into the base WL and term riders will generate a FAR greater commission than $100.

DHK, Mar 24, 2019
  5. ls015

ls015 Expert

State:
    California
    Wonder what do insurance companies themselves want? Just base premium or PUA premium?

ls015, Mar 24, 2019
  6. DHK

State:
    California
    Insurance companies want quality risks to spend lots of money on premium and not die for a long time.

DHK, Mar 24, 2019
  7. ls015

ls015 Expert

State:
    California
    Yeah but do they have a preference on base vs PUA premium?

ls015, Mar 24, 2019
  8. DHK

State:
    California
    Since using PUA for a given amount of premium LOWERS the amount at risk, I would suggest that they *should* want more maximum-funded policies.

DHK, Mar 24, 2019
  9. ls015

ls015 Expert

State:
    California
    Do banks want our deposits? No, deposits are a liability for them, they have to pay interest, safe guard.
    PUAs are the same for life insurance companies as deposits are to banks. I think they want more base premium. If they wanted more PUAs, they would pay more to agents on that but they pay more on base premium. This is just what I feel, not to prove you wrong or anything. Appreciate your responses.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    ls015, Mar 24, 2019
  10. DHK

State:
    California
    "Fund the box or pay the curve."

DHK, Mar 24, 2019