Agents don't mention PUA rider, why?

ls015

Expert
Majority of agents don't design WLs with PUA riders. They will blend with term insurance and that's it. Mostly, base premium it is. I wonder why? Is it commission or something else?

Vast majority of agents don't know how or why to recommend a max-funded policy to the MEC guidelines. So they ask for how much the client can afford... and design the most protection for the premium, which is usually a blend of base WL and term. Perhaps using the future dividends to convert the term to permanent long-term. (A death-benefit only design.)

And if they work THAT way, then designing a plan with higher expertise will actually cut their commission than if they didn't.

Vast majority of agents don't know how or why to recommend a max-funded policy to the MEC guidelines. So they ask for how much the client can afford... and design the most protection for the premium, which is usually a blend of base WL and term. Perhaps using the future dividends to convert the term to permanent long-term. (A death-benefit only design.)

And if they work THAT way, then designing a plan with higher expertise will actually cut their commission than if they didn't.

But doesn't PUA premium generate commission too? Something like 2%? 2% of much larger PUA premium is greater than 1 time of 100% of base premium, isn't it?

I am not sure if it's 2% every year or just one time of PUA premium.

Comparing 2% vs 45% for term rider and 55% base WL... which do you think the AGENCY wants you to sell?

If you have $10,000 per year to work with... and you're going to put $5,000 in the PUA rider... that's only 2% x $5,000 = $100. I'm pretty sure the difference into the base WL and term riders will generate a FAR greater commission than $100.

Since using PUA for a given amount of premium LOWERS the amount at risk, I would suggest that they *should* want more maximum-funded policies.
Do banks want our deposits? No, deposits are a liability for them, they have to pay interest, safe guard.
PUAs are the same for life insurance companies as deposits are to banks. I think they want more base premium. If they wanted more PUAs, they would pay more to agents on that but they pay more on base premium. This is just what I feel, not to prove you wrong or anything. Appreciate your responses.

Last edited:
Back