Agents Who Carry GMAC: Your Opinions Please

BlockO

Guru
1000 Post Club
I was contacted yesterday by a GMAC rep looking to appoint agents in my area. I wanted to get some thoughts from agents who already carry GMAC. What do you think of them?

pros and cons?

in terms of premiums, what segments of the population are they the most/least competitive?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I have GMAC in AZ, love them!

Yesterday I got the email with my new log in for their new computer system, much better.

This year they are rolling out a renters and a home product, so you are getting a new preferred carrier

They are AWESOME on Commerical auto!

They always write travel trailers, no other toys, kinda weird.

Have some good discounts if they have anything to do with GMAC, wether a credit card, mortgage employee, and best of all, the system finds out, you dont have to.

GET THEM!

Last edited by a moderator:
In CA, they're pretty much in line with Progressive with regards to premium and underwriting. The good news is they pay a lot better commissions than Progressive. My GMAC rep is great but their 1800# customer service needs some fine tuning.

I use them mainly for non standard auto.

b61mack,
I don't know if they do or not. but here's what I do know, if it helps...

-they are considering agents in 23 states (including your state, PA)
-I've only been a licensed agent for a year, but the independent agency I took over has been around for 22 years. (not sure how much each of those factors weighed in their decision)
-on the agency appointment application, it's interesting to note that one of the questions is: "Are you a captive agent considering the Independent Agency Channel?". That to me suggests that they may be more open to appointing startup agents than other carriers.

if I were you, I'd give it a shot. the worse they could do is say "no". here's the link:
https://www.gmacagency.com/news/_docs/appointment.asp

I applied about 2-3 months ago, and never heard anything back. then out of the blue one day, a sales rep visited my agency. This was about 2 weeks ago. so once they decide to take you, it doesn't take long from there. good luck to you.

Hey Dan,

How do you like working with them now that yo are appointed? How do they fit in compared to other non-standard carriers like Progressive or Unitrin?

so far so good. but I haven't been with them long enough to get a good feel for them yet. Here in Ohio, all I can quote right now with them is auto and RV. they're supposed to include motorcycle sometime this summer, and homeowners & commercial auto by the end of the year.

as far as their auto rates, they've beat progressive about half the time with the quotes I've ran so far. but I haven't ran enough quotes yet to say for sure. Ask me in about a month and I can give you a more knowledgeable answer.

The regional sales manager visited two days ago and was very helpful and friendly. They've sure got progressive beat there!

so far so good. but I haven't been with them long enough to get a good feel for them yet. Here in Ohio, all I can quote right now with them is auto and RV. they're supposed to include motorcycle sometime this summer, and homeowners & commercial auto by the end of the year.

as far as their auto rates, they've beat progressive about half the time with the quotes I've ran so far. but I haven't ran enough quotes yet to say for sure. Ask me in about a month and I can give you a more knowledgeable answer.

The regional sales manager visited two days ago and was very helpful and friendly. They've sure got progressive beat there!

I love GMAC! Been writing them since 2008- never had a problem. Excellent service and very reputable company. Also, pay great commissions. Dependable Auto Ins Svcs

Back