AGLA Positions

Another newby here. I'm considering two agent opportunities. 1) American General Life 2) AFLAC

I'm newly licensed and live in Florida were I have only recently moved. My background is in law enforcement and private investigations. No commission sales experience at all. AGLA offers a 12 week paid training program for what I beleive will be a career agent position and AFLAC is just the opposite. Any suggestions on the best route to begin in a sales career in insurance. I dont have a lot of debt but I can not go for 4 months without a paycheck. How is the market changing and were are the customers these days with these economic conditions. I'm willing to do the work I just dont want to start off on the wrong foot with the wrong product. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd definitely pass on AFLAC. Too much of a negative impression with business owners. They get tired of 3-4 AFLAC agents a day calling on them.

AGLA can work, depending on the market you want to work. Other places to consider are Mass Mutual, Guardian, New York Life, Northwestern Mutual and MetLife. Or you can go purely independent. Depending on how quickly you write your first app and how quickly you get it through underwriting, you could get paid 60-90 days after getting licensed.

I'll look into those other companies as well. Another question, if I were to go independent I guess I would apply directly to the insurance company. Would I need to set up a DBA or Corporation or will they appoint me as an individual? Again I dont have a clue about the appointment process.

You can work as a 1099, effectively a sold propreitor. However, most companies will not appoint you directly, you will need to use one or more GA/FMO/IMOs as a middle man for your business. They'll get you appointed and give you contracts. You can also receive some help that you might not get directly from the carrier.

The one issue for you may be advancing. The carrier shops, companies I mentioned earlier, will advance on business you place with them. Many companies will not advance through a GA. If you do get advances, restrictions may be placed on it.

Often you get a higher level of commission. Commission is determined by production. A GA aggregates production from a number of agents for a group of carriers. Individually, each agent might qualify for a lower commission or might not even qualify for a contract. Collectively, they qualify for a higher level. The GA takes a cut for his work and to turn a profit. The question always is, does the GA leave enough commission for the agent to make it worth using him?

AGLA will teach you the professionalism needed to stay in this business. I've been in the worksite benefit market for over a decade and have worked with a few carriers including Aflac. Go AGLA, then go to a true ancillary carrier like Guardian to learn that side of the market. You should end up independent, marketing multiple carriers, but working for your clients best interest.

:nah:
good info. What commission to you give up to the middle man v. direct appointment if you can get one?
Yes, I am an insurance agent of AEGON RELIGARE LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY IN INDIA and my agency code is 10023665. I can pay you or anybody @50% of the commission received by me from the company .
GHANSHYAM DAS AGARWAL
[email protected]
9336222747:yes:

AGLA will teach you the professionalism needed to stay in this business. I've been in the worksite benefit market for over a decade and have worked with a few carriers including Aflac. Go AGLA, then go to a true ancillary carrier like Guardian to learn that side of the market. You should end up independent, marketing multiple carriers, but working for your clients best interest.

I currently specialize in worksite benefits, but am a captive agent. I am considering this exact progression by leaving the company where I am captive and going to someone like AGLA as a non-captive (special representative contract) to continue the flow of income. However, I would then contract with Lincoln Financial Advisors who has an open architecture of products to be able to serve the best interest of my clients with a wholistic approach to financial services. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Another newby here. I'm considering two agent opportunities. 1) American General Life 2) AFLAC

I'm newly licensed and live in Florida were I have only recently moved. My background is in law enforcement and private investigations. No commission sales experience at all. AGLA offers a 12 week paid training program for what I beleive will be a career agent position and AFLAC is just the opposite. Any suggestions on the best route to begin in a sales career in insurance. I dont have a lot of debt but I can not go for 4 months without a paycheck. How is the market changing and were are the customers these days with these economic conditions. I'm willing to do the work I just dont want to start off on the wrong foot with the wrong product. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Definitely AGLA over the duck.

Back