AHIP 2019

As I've posted or hinted before, with some pushback from at least one of the gurus here....selling MA plans is an iffy proposition going into the future. Before you jump on me, I am on that bandwagon as well.
The handwriting is clearly on the wall. Agents are being marginalized into extinction. The companies (carriers) have their internal sales competing with us (independent agents), and at times stealing our business. The Medicare.gov site is set up where people can sign themselves up, without the help of an agent...is this trend at its peak or just starting?
Yes, for now the you have your book, you have your referrals, and get your renewals as there are still lots of older people and T-65's that are technophobes. And many are just behind the technology wave, though that is clearly changing. So you/(we) will still sign up lots of people. As time goes on, and the subsequent crops of T-65's start to roll in, they will be doing it on their own. It's your choice whether you care to see it or accept it, but it's abundantly clear to me that is how this will play into the future.
Make hay while the sun is shining, I say!
Exactly beware of the risk but run w fire until it burns u

I often think most people would be better off worrying about their business instead of telling people how to run theirs.

I'm in an MA heavy state. This year I'm not doing MA, because I'm 100% inbound and not sure how that's going to transition yet. I have a backup system to make money this year, but if it becomes something I can't ignore, I'll probably certify next year.

That being said, I'll never take the renewals as a core part of my business. Their are two many variables.
Some here have retired successfully
I would listen

As I've posted or hinted before, with some pushback from at least one of the gurus here....selling MA plans is an iffy proposition going into the future. Before you jump on me, I am on that bandwagon as well.
The handwriting is clearly on the wall. Agents are being marginalized into extinction. The companies (carriers) have their internal sales competing with us (independent agents), and at times stealing our business. The Medicare.gov site is set up where people can sign themselves up, without the help of an agent...is this trend at its peak or just starting?
Yes, for now the you have your book, you have your referrals, and get your renewals as there are still lots of older people and T-65's that are technophobes. And many are just behind the technology wave, though that is clearly changing. So you/(we) will still sign up lots of people. As time goes on, and the subsequent crops of T-65's start to roll in, they will be doing it on their own. It's your choice whether you care to see it or accept it, but it's abundantly clear to me that is how this will play into the future.
I don’t think MA is going anywhere because CMS has said that they want to expand it; but, any federal program is subject to radical change on a moments notice. IMO, the constant battle between carriers and providers is a problem going forward.

True, true. All true.

It will only get worse if the same hands keep this mess going. I saw a 1/2 blind 76 year old retiree squinting trying to take it at the library bc he had no internet.

You know what this years test was weird, I usually click through till test and get 100, Today I did that and got 88 and failed, Had to redo it

There were weird things like a question about, Under 65 ESRD when qualified for Medicare, I looked it up on medicare.gov said If Getting dialysis self-administered at home right away qualified, But If in skilled nursing after 4 months

The question on the test did not specify which scenario, I got that one wrong the first time as I went with the 1st scenario

There were few other weird things like if have Medicaid and an MA PPO and go out of network, and cost share The answer turned out to be by Medicaids costs are,I know that's not right

Another If AEP enrollee, Disenrolls change of address in feb is that full chargeback?

I have changed my own clients that way and got full chargeback,

Also had to fight to get reimbursed on rapid disenrollment last year because It was NEW to Medicare, That I switched AEP 2 months later to a plan not previously available
I found out at that time this was the one scenario( when New to medicare makes AEP change within first 3 months) it is not rapid disenrollment and I still had to fight for it,

And at that time I was able to find on Medicare that this was the one exception to the rapid disenrollment rule

And I still don't know what is an opt-in simplified enrollment mechanism and what the qualifications are And why some T65 can use it and others not

Whatever I passed 2nd time, Not a big deal, But its not what you are making it out to be here, Not this year

The sky is falling 110 deg in NY last week and we are dying. Reality sux but we do the best we can. Doesnt mean we should throw out climate change or push for common sense.

You're welcome to think that way. There's a difference between giving advice and telling people that the sky is falling.

If you can't differentiate that, it's on you.

This is complete, utter bullsh*t.

It's impossible to complete AHIP in anything close to 1 hour because you can't skip over any of the review questions on any of the modules. There are 5 modules, 30-40 review questions per module while working through the module plus a 10 question exam at the end of each module. You can skip the material but can't skip any of the review questions.

This is my 8th year of taking (and successfully passing) AHIP and it always takes a couple of hours even in turbo mode.

This year's exam is a little more difficult because the questions require reading in full, you can't just browse through them. I usually get 98 or 100 on the 1st time through and this year passed with 92, to me that indicates that lots of agents who struggle on the 90% are going to be taking it multiple times.

Add to that the fact that some insurance companies require that you pass AHIP within the first 3 times or lose your renewals for the year and it's absolutely stupid to just assume it's an automatic 'pass' and not take it seriously.

The only agents who don't take it seriously are those without a Book of Business to protect.
Yes ur right but all the cowboys here throw their ropes around in an hour and make 100% since its open book. Pppfffffffft

Latest posts

Back