AHIP 2019

This is complete, utter bullsh*t.

It's impossible to complete AHIP in anything close to 1 hour because you can't skip over any of the review questions on any of the modules. There are 5 modules, 30-40 review questions per module while working through the module plus a 10 question exam at the end of each module. You can skip the material but can't skip any of the review questions.

This is my 8th year of taking (and successfully passing) AHIP and it always takes a couple of hours even in turbo mode.

This year's exam is a little more difficult because the questions require reading in full, you can't just browse through them. I usually get 98 or 100 on the 1st time through and this year passed with 92, to me that indicates that lots of agents who struggle on the 90% are going to be taking it multiple times.

Add to that the fact that some insurance companies require that you pass AHIP within the first 3 times or lose your renewals for the year and it's absolutely stupid to just assume it's an automatic 'pass' and not take it seriously.

The only agents who don't take it seriously are those without a Book of Business to protect.

Actually you can skip the review questions by pressing the "magic" Next button. I called it magic because it doesn't really exist. But the AHIP software acts like it's there. You can't click on it with the mouse but you can press [Enter] after you've gotten to it from a previous slide. So to skip all of the review questions for a module hit the [Tab] key until the Next button is highlighted. Then press [Enter] a few dozen times. It will skip through everything. Even the review questions without answering them. If you just hold the [Enter] key down without pressing it each time it may hang.

I don't recommend this for new people. But if you've taken it before and feel confident that you don't need to take the time for the review questions in one or more modules you can skip them.

I agree with what you posted about the exam being a bit harder this year. I also made a 92.

Last edited:
Yep, they don’t require AHIP anymore, starting with last year, they have their own.

I wish all carriers would start going to this model -- and I think more will start. My point isn't because AHIP is necessarily difficult, although some questions can be, but just because the whole slimy, unethical, money-grabbing scam test is set up. $175 (or $125) for each agent (talk about a mafia racket), and then if you fail 3 times, most carriers keep your book of business, essentially permanently. I mean, anyone that is okay with that needs their head examined. Passing AHIP doesn't mean you're gonna be this superstar all-knowing agent. Hell, a lot of the questions don't even pertain to any plans available in my area.

You know what this years test was weird, I usually click through till test and get 100, Today I did that and got 88 and failed, Had to redo it

There were weird things like a question about, Under 65 ESRD when qualified for Medicare, I looked it up on medicare.gov said If Getting dialysis self-administered at home right away qualified, But If in skilled nursing after 4 months

The question on the test did not specify which scenario, I got that one wrong the first time as I went with the 1st scenario

There were few other weird things like if have Medicaid and an MA PPO and go out of network, and cost share The answer turned out to be by Medicaids costs are,I know that's not right

Another If AEP enrollee, Disenrolls change of address in feb is that full chargeback?

I have changed my own clients that way and got full chargeback,

Also had to fight to get reimbursed on rapid disenrollment last year because It was NEW to Medicare, That I switched AEP 2 months later to a plan not previously available
I found out at that time this was the one scenario( when New to medicare makes AEP change within first 3 months) it is not rapid disenrollment and I still had to fight for it,

And at that time I was able to find on Medicare that this was the one exception to the rapid disenrollment rule

And I still don't know what is an opt-in simplified enrollment mechanism and what the qualifications are And why some T65 can use it and others not

Whatever I passed 2nd time, Not a big deal, But its not what you are making it out to be here, Not this year

This is a really important point. This year's test is unlike any other years. It's VERY strange, and a solid chunk of the questions are VERY confusing, could easily have two answers, or are worded in a deliberate way to completely confuse the agents -- which I find personally unethical....especially for a business that preaches about ethics. Ask me a question and there should be ONE CLEAR CUT ANSWER. On a few of them, there literally isn't enough information to accurately answer. I just narrowed it down to two and took a shot in the dark. When your income/business/livelihood is on the line, I'm sorry, but that is BEYOND unacceptable.

Last edited:
This is a really important point. This year's test is unlike any other years. It's VERY strange, and a solid chunk of the questions are VERY confusing, could easily have two answers, or are worded in a deliberate way to completely confuse the agents -- which I find personally unethical....especially for a business that preaches about ethics. Ask me a questions and there should be ONE CLEAR CUT ANSWER. On a few of them, there literally isn't enough information to accurately answer. I just narrowed it down to two and took a shot in the dark. When your income/business/livelihood is on the line, I'm sorry, but that is BEYOND unacceptable.

But some say just shut up and quit complaining ( Todd King, FLM2, Taylor Jr.
). I say ur the smartest guy on this blog!

This is a really important point. This year's test is unlike any other years. It's VERY strange, and a solid chunk of the questions are VERY confusing, could easily have two answers, or are worded in a deliberate way to completely confuse the agents -- which I find personally unethical....especially for a business that preaches about ethics. Ask me a questions and there should be ONE CLEAR CUT ANSWER. On a few of them, there literally isn't enough information to accurately answer. I just narrowed it down to two and took a shot in the dark. When your income/business/livelihood is on the line, I'm sorry, but that is BEYOND unacceptable.

U get it. Some have their head in the sand. The FMOs I hear are pushing for change. I doubt Todd King gives a rip but hey, there are some that dont goose step and make a difference.

But some say just shut up and quit complaining

What good does complaining do?? Who do I complain to? How often should I complain? Once per hour? Every 10 minutes?
PCBI, while you have free time on your hands to complain, many of us don't. I learned a long time ago complaining falls on deaf ears. No one or 1000 of us is going to make AHIP go away. I bend over and take it.

Last edited:
I wish all carriers would start going to this model -- and I think more will start. My point isn't because AHIP is necessarily difficult, although some questions can be, but just because the whole slimy, unethical, money-grabbing scam test is set up. $175 (or $125) for each agent (talk about a mafia racket), and then if you fail 3 times, most carriers keep your book of business, essentially permanently. I mean, anyone that is okay with that needs their head examined. Passing AHIP doesn't mean you're gonna be this superstar all-knowing agent. Hell, a lot of the questions don't even pertain to any plans available in my area.

Those are good points. It's BS. Some of the questions in AHIP are stupid. Some are worded poorly. And if you fail 3 times....to keep all of your commissions is just wrong.

Back