AIG "AGLA" Universal Life? Any good?

American General Finance (now Springleaf Financial Services) is a large employer in our community. As a consequence there doesn't seem to have been much fallout locally against AIG. AGLA has decent products. My daughter started with them in February and is doing pretty good.

Last edited:
AGLA's UL has living benefit, which is very unique and a good selling point, but if someone has to use the death benefit without dying due to critical illness like cancer or heart attach, the policy owner and their family have to decide either to advance the benefit or leave it for the family. As far as interest rate and as a long term benefit such as supplemental retirement, there are other companies that offers better return on the money like North American, or some of the bigger carriers have better WL products that is safer and yields better return.

i might suggest you to check it online.... there are many companies offering online insurance these days....you can compare them and find suitable one for you.... :)

AIG is the parent company of AGLA, can't have one without the other. AIG dump american general finance ealier this year. AGLA donot have a stock symbol nor could I find any financials regarding this company. Everything under AIG...have a look at Standard and Poors

I like to sell the Accumulator UL with the MGPR rider, which guarantees level premium and level death benefit until the insured is 120 yrs old. It doesn't have the cash value guarantees of a whole life, but if an older client is just looking for a level death benefit, the premium is usually much cheaper.

AGLA has been around longer than AIG, but they merged and used AIG's brand for name recognition, which worked fine until what happended with the mortgage side of AIG.

Now they are trying to go solo slowly, which could b verified from their website and their marketing materials: they removed AIG name, but their agents will still say that they are still part of AIG.

AIG got the money from the Uncle Sam, but they already paid back now. But it will take a while to regain consumer's confidence, even though AIG's insurance division has nothing to do with their mortgage side.

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering selling AGLA "Quality-of-Life" products as an independent. Problem is that commissions are 100% independent and up to 120% captive. I have the option to bank commissions for up to 6 months until I decide. What do you guys see as the pros and cons? This is my first post.

Thanks!

The Menace

Back