Allstate Agency

I was going to go with Allstate but decided against it. Search the forum and you will find that very few people have anything good to say about there scratch agency program. We are going independent instead and using Smart Choice to get our appointments. We wanted to have the freedom to get appointments with other companies, plus Allstate really doesn't have anything for commercial clients. :yes:

Actually, if you search the forum, you will find not much good about many things. To start a short list:

- Lead vendors, internet based
- Lead vendors, data based
- Lead vendors, telemarketing based
- Telemarketing
- Direct mail
- Lead vendors of any other sort
- State Farm
- All State
- Farmers
- Mega (some you just have to agree with)
- NASE
- All derivatives of MEGA/NASE
- Pet Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Copays
- Return on Premium term
- Being captive
- Al
- Successful agents
- etc

There isn't much that people consistently say is great! I chalk it up to the fact this is a place to vent, with someone that understands the same problem.

Don't let anything said on this forum stop you from doing something that is good for you. Take advice where appropriate, but realize that no 2 people are alike.

There are many successful Allstate agents out there. They simply don't pay attention to this forum.

Dan

I think SF is the way to go between the 2,I was them for 5 years as an EFS and partner with the reg P&C guys,most of the old time agency are trying to sell or plain quit.they are trying to be a financial services company and not having much luck. Being independent is the way to go, I doubled my income ,to much b**8S**** if you ask me

Actually, if you search the forum, you will find not much good about many things. To start a short list:

- Lead vendors, internet based
- Lead vendors, data based
- Lead vendors, telemarketing based
- Telemarketing
- Direct mail
- Lead vendors of any other sort
- State Farm
- All State
- Farmers
- Mega (some you just have to agree with)
- NASE
- All derivatives of MEGA/NASE
- Pet Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Copays
- Return on Premium term
- Being captive
- Al
- Successful agents
- etc

There isn't much that people consistently say is great! I chalk it up to the fact this is a place to vent, with someone that understands the same problem.

Don't let anything said on this forum stop you from doing something that is good for you. Take advice where appropriate, but realize that no 2 people are alike.

There are many successful Allstate agents out there. They simply don't pay attention to this forum.

Dan

Hey lets not forget the no premium life ins policy and AIM health plans.

Dan

There are multiply sources out there that have nothing but bad things to say about Allstate not just this forum, but djs is right you shouldn't make decisions off of one bad review or information source you have to do your home work. I weighed how much good to bad reviews I could find when I made my decisions. I found allot more bad to good from multiple sources. I also talked to a few people around town including a few business owner and there opinions on Allstate. What I found was that while people were quite happy with there personal auto policies I talked to a few people that were not happy with there dwelling and homeowner's products. Plus the local auto glass shop that does most the work in the area absolutely hated Allstate and I was depending on him to get quite a few referrals. You need to know what the people that will be buying the policies from you think of the company you are using. Remember if you are a captive agent you cant put them with a different company if they don't like the one you are working with, so you loose the client. :idea:

It's no secret Allstate has been going through some tough times, especially since Katrina. I still think it is a solid, well-respected company, overall. No, I don't have any connections to them, just feel that they are a good company that is going through a bit of a rough patch. Unfortunately, this happens to a lot of companies.

The thing you left off of your list is the number of Allstate agencies that have been up for sale lately. Obviously, a lot of agents had some concerns. Now, I'm seeing a lot fewer agencies for sale, which indicates that the problems are at least waning, if not correcting.

I don't care what carrier you talk about, I can point you to some forum sites that are really down on that carrier. You are correct in doing some due diligence, though forum sites are pretty much bottom of the totem pole stuff for reliability and completeness.

Dan

Your training flight to Chicago is on your dime but they give you a pretty big check your first month to help offset those expenses (it's all 1099 so you're paying taxes but it's more than enough to cover travel expenses). I'm not in the NE but I can say that Allstate is a great company. I don't know much about State Farm but I do know that a huge difference is that you own your book of business with Allstate. So if you decide to quit/retire you can sell your agency to a willing buyer or Allstate will buy it back from you.

I am looking at going independent right now because I think it will be a better fit for me. If you are set on being a captive agent than I think Allstate is great. Some negative things about them are that you can't sell anyone elses products. I know some Farmers agents that can sell for other companies if Farmers doesn't offer the product or doesn't want to write the policy. Allstate doesn't give you that option. Good luck.

Locally Allstate had the worst, most obnoxious, most predatory auto claims adjuster I have ever dealt with. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst I would have rated him about -5. He was with the company 23 years and was an Allstate guy through and through but recently he got fired. Go figure!

Your training flight to Chicago is on your dime but they give you a pretty big check your first month to help offset those expenses

When I was looking into Allstate they give you $3,000 to offset your training. For my training I would have to go for 5 weeks, three in NY City and two in Chicago. $3,000 wouldn't even come close to covering my hotel, food, and travel expenses. But if you only have to go 3 days its a steal. I'm just wondering why you only have to do 3 day while I was told I had to do 5 weeks.

Back