Allstate Buy's Esurance

Probably not, since he is significantly overpaying for his auto insurance. A good agent can help him out.

Dan

I've got a car worth $2,000 that sits in the driveway. I work from home and my wife doesn't work.

At $77 per month I pay for the entire value of my car every 25 months so yes.....I'm not paying 1 cent over the rock bottom cheapest rate I can get.

I'm 44 with zero accidents. Should say something. I should be paying $20 a month. And trust me, at $77 a month if I find $70 I'm cancelling and going with them.

With health insurance I "could" rack up $100,000, $500,000 in medical charges. What can I rack up for auto? The value of my car. Now....IF I actually CAUSE an accident it's a different story. I have no such worries.

What's my PIP anyway? $2,500. My max? $40,000. So if I ever caused a lot of of damage I'm screwed anyway. To me it's worth next to nothing - $20 a month.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. Just make sure you have enough liability.

if you have little assets, than low insurance coverage makes sense. if you have a house, and some money put away. than you should have a million dollar umbrella, you can still be sued, even if you are in the right.

if you have little assets, than low insurance coverage makes sense. if you have a house, and some money put away. than you should have a million dollar umbrella, you can still be sued, even if you are in the right.

How dare you offer up advice that man has over 30X's more posts than you. Know your role dude.

Now, I'm a novice when it comes to P&C... but don't most companies require that you have a "max" liability auto policy before they'll issue a higher umbrella policy?

Are there companies that will issue an umbrella policy when you don't have the auto policy with that same company?

I really don't know this.

Thanks.

Now, I'm a novice when it comes to P&C... but don't most companies require that you have a "max" liability auto policy before they'll issue a higher umbrella policy?

No they don't require a "max" policy but they won't except a minimum either. I would say that most companies would require in the neighborhood of 250/500 minimum to issue an umbrella.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Are there companies that will issue an umbrella policy when you don't have the auto policy with that same company?

Yes from what I understand, however they will still need proof of liability from their other policies with similar minimums previously mentioned.

Last edited:

I really don't know this.

Thanks.

You got it but not necessarly the max...In order to have an Umbrella policy you must have proper underlying limits on all supporting lines. Most carriers want 250/500 on your auto for a PUP. Homes most want 300 some want 500. Boats depending on the size of the vessel you would need 300 or 500 with many carriers. Motorcycles and recreational vehicles you would need at least 100/300 with most companies that I am familiar with. There are several people that are grand fathered in to some old umbrellas that I have seen that have 100/300 limits on their auto policies. There are companies that I have that issue stand-alone umbrellas and they will even require the insured to have the higher coverage’s before they will issue the umbrella.

Back