Allstate, Mobile Home Written As Stickbuilt?

FALer

An Auto policy client of mine is interested in having me do up her home, which is a 1,300 square foot mobile home. She faxed me her Dec. pages and it looks to me like Allstate has her written as a stick built home.
I say this because,

She's covered for $147,000 with Allstate currently, which is in the ballpark for a stickbuilt in this area. My estimator (Foremost) shows $72,000 reconstruction cost, $75,000 with debris removal, and I have her quoted at $80,000. This is all RCV.

A couple of questions
1) is there any breakdown of Allstate's policy number prefixes?

2) Does Allstate typically write mobile's/Manufactured & stick built under the same program?

3) If she has a claim, what happens to her if her policy type is incorrect for the type of dwelling she has?

I guess that's it, I look forward to hearing what you folks have to say.
Thank you,
Nate

It depends on the state, but in my state mobile/manufactured homes are written through a different Allstate book. This will be tough to confirm without knowing an agent to ask. That means on the dec page it will say something like "Allstate Indemnity" opposed to "Allstate Property & Casualty" etc.

Yes it can slip through the cracks written as a regular home. If it was JUST written it will probably get inspected & shut down. If it was written and slipped the inspection (or they didn't inspect at the time..) then it will probably stick.

Sure - they could deny a claim for this. Would they? probably not in the old days, but now they absolutely would & shovel against the agent's E&O. Use the scare tactic on them.

They won't write RC unless it's less than 10 years old.

Is it a mobile home or a manufactured home?
I've seen some manufactured homes that were hard to know they weren't 'stickbuilt' on site.

Beyond that, I have no idea about Allstate and what they would do with a claim. My general experience is if the 'mistake' is reasonable and not negligent, the carriers tend to pay since they will lose in court anyway. Of course, all carriers pick their battles and they go through times where it is deny first, prove I have to pay later, on anything questionable.

Dan

It depends on the state, but in my state mobile/manufactured homes are written through a different Allstate book. This will be tough to confirm without knowing an agent to ask. That means on the dec page it will say something like "Allstate Indemnity" opposed to "Allstate Property & Casualty" etc.

Yes it can slip through the cracks written as a regular home. If it was JUST written it will probably get inspected & shut down. If it was written and slipped the inspection (or they didn't inspect at the time..) then it will probably stick.

Sure - they could deny a claim for this. Would they? probably not in the old days, but now they absolutely would & shovel against the agent's E&O. Use the scare tactic on them.

They won't write RC unless it's less than 10 years old.

That's good information and I appreciate your time. That is sort of what I expected about making an E&O claim against the agent of record on the policy. Also a good tidbit on Allstate not writing RC on something more that 10 years old, I did not know that. It's fortunate that Foremost will do that.
Thanks again.

----------

Is it a mobile home or a manufactured home?
I've seen some manufactured homes that were hard to know they weren't 'stickbuilt' on site.

Beyond that, I have no idea about Allstate and what they would do with a claim. My general experience is if the 'mistake' is reasonable and not negligent, the carriers tend to pay since they will lose in court anyway. Of course, all carriers pick their battles and they go through times where it is deny first, prove I have to pay later, on anything questionable.

Dan
I've seen those Manufactured homes that look like stick builds also, so I know what you mean. The dwelling in question is 100% mobile home, I suspect it was never inspected. Thank you for your input.

Back