Am I an inpatient or outpatient? Page 28 2019 Medicare & You

Jan 1, 2019

1. Northeast Agent

Northeast Agent Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    A friend of my mother's who is on Medicare (not my client), recently suffered her fourth stroke. She's a heavy smoker and diabetic.

She has a MA plan and was sent home after six days in the hospital. Said she was told she could go home with nurses and PT or be sent to a nursing home (the plan would pay), but NOT to a SNF.

I don't understand why the plan supposedly would pay for a nursing home?

I asked my mother to see if she received a "Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice" (MOON). The friend said she didn't. Is this something she can file a grievance about against the hospital?

2. Rob Lion

Rob Lion Guru

State:
    Kansas
    Look at the plan and see what nursing homes are covered under the plan. Most nursing homes have skilled nursing.

3. Northeast Agent

Northeast Agent Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Medicare doesn't usually cover nursing homes. And I don't understand why she didn't get the MOON notice, like you're supposed to.

4. gregj

gregj Super Genius

State:
    Arizona
    doesn't at all, but does cover care by nursing homes certified to provide SNF services - of which many are nursing homes, as Rob tried to tell you.

gregj, Jan 2, 2019
  5. Northeast Agent

Northeast Agent Guru

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Gregj, OK thanks that makes sense. But what about her not receiving the MOON notice?

6. gregj

gregj Super Genius

State:
    Arizona
    I'm with you -- that seems odd. Is there any other way for you to get confirmation, or to inquire of the facility whether they did supply it?

gregj, Jan 3, 2019