Am I going to regret this?

adjusterjack

Guru
1000 Post Club
You P&C guys who have been around for a while have probably noticed this. A regional company will expand into a new area and write coverage at very competitive rates in order capture a large share of the market. Three or four years later the losses catch up and the rates are raised to shocking amounts. Such is the story of Pekin Insurance Co in Arizona except that the low rate love affair lasted an amazing 8 years. I discovered Pekin through an independent agent in 2013 after coming off 3 years of surcharges due to a small at-fault accident in 2010.

Pekin cut the legs off the competition with auto and homeowners. I previously had good luck with obscure companies in the past so I went with Pekin. Excellent service and the one claim that I had (wind) was paid quickly and satisfactorily.

For the last couple of years there was a little bit of rate creep but Pekin was always competitive, except for my latest auto renewal which went from $1350 per year to $1850 per year. An even bigger shock was getting quotes of $1500 to $2500 per year from other companies.

Until I got a quote from Progressive for $624 for six months for the same coverage. I confess that I'm one of those people that buys insurance based on price. I bought the policy despite what I've read about Progressive.

Progressive will send me devices, for each vehicle, that will monitor my usage and driving habits for 6 months. The renewal rates will be based on the results. Sure, it's a gamble but I get some relief for 6 months and I can jump for a better deal if appropriate.

Fortunately, I'm a very sedate driver in my old age and it's just me on three vehicles so I'm optimistic.

Set your cruise control to the speed limit every time you drive for 6 months, apply brakes gently when pulling into your driveway, try to avoid driving at night and your lowered rate will make up for the 6 month inconvenience after you remove the device.

I jumped on board with Traveler's using the IntelliDrive app. Only have to have it on for 3 months, with some interspersed driving totaling a minimum 500 miles. I've always prided myself as being an excellent driver...my record speaks for itself. I've driven in many states (geographic and mental), including icy and snowy roads, mountainous terrain, foreign countries using maps, way before the GPS era, and only 2 accidents, one of which was "my fault" as I slid into a vehicle who had spun out on an icy road and blocked 2 lanes.
I'm not a P&C guy, but I think you're always supposed to have control of your vehicle, so you hit from behind...boom! your fault.
So, after 3 months and 500 miles the app gets deleted, and wife and I get 10%-20% discount permanently, I think. Well worth it IMO. Just want to add, that driving like an old, half-blind senile woman made me realize how many a-holes are on the road today. I'll return to those ranks, as soon as delete the app :D. The app does have short-comings, but 82 days in, it tells me I'm an excellent driver. It does seem to be unforgiving in that once it pegs an "event", it's hard to tilt it back. For instance, I drive to the gym ~6:00 am a few times a week, and that was an unsafe time. I've turned my phone off now when I go there early, but it still tells me I need improvement in choosing my drive times, when I've been driving in the middle of the day.

I could have added Pekin as a Carrier years ago, but purposely refused for that very reason. That type of increase drives customers to shop out of the indy agency right into the Progressive directs of the world.

Today the company buying premium in AZ is Stillwater. They have smokin hot rates. I can add them if I want. But I am not interested in Personal Lines, and haven't been for a few years now. I will sit back and watch their growth and loss trends. AZ is not a market to make money in Auto insurance. Carriers have always struggled.

You go Jack, and report back with your additional savings from your dongle insertion. Wow, that sounds weird and not right....!

Today the company buying premium in AZ is Stillwater. They have smokin hot rates.

No, they don't. I just went online to Stillwater and got quoted $1832.50 for 6 months for the exact same coverage that Progressive wrote me for $624 for 6 months.

I drive to the gym ~6:00 am a few times a week, and that was an unsafe time. I've turned my phone off now when I go there early,

I'm guessing that the app continues to monitor your driving even when the phone is off. I'm sure that the insurance companies would have thought of that.

Set your cruise control to the speed limit every time you drive

I do that anyway.

apply brakes gently when pulling into your driveway

I have to. I have a roll curb. It can jolt my teeth loose if I don't go slow.

try to avoid driving at night

I rarely do and should be able to eliminate any instances of night driving for the next 6 months.

You go Jack, and report back with your additional savings from your dongle insertion.

I will.

I'm guessing that the app continues to monitor your driving even when the phone is off. I'm sure that the insurance companies would have thought of that.
Nope. If phone ain't on, no way anyone knows where you are or what you're doing, even by the cell phone carriers...no pinging off any tower. Also, you can turn off tracking on the app itself in settings. I choose that way at times when I need to have my phone on, and off their radar. I asked these questions up-front, and at least that's the way this app works. I'm sure they're all going to be similar.
Another short-coming is "hard braking"....so it automatically assumes you hard-brake when you're following too closely. Well, how about the jack-ass that pulls out in front of you or cuts you off? Are you not supposed to hit the brakes, because that will count as an event.
So, though it hasn't been perfected it gives them enough data to rank you and apply their deemed discount. I'm almost done with it, so I say it's been worth it, though frustrating at times.
One other feature this app has is the option of reporting if I was the driver or just a passenger. Somehow it knew I was a passenger during recent car rides I took while in South America a couple of months ago.

I choose that way at times when I need to have my phone on, and off their radar.

I suspect that the insurance company has a way of dinging you if you turn off the phone during periods of, say, not quite desirable driving.

Progressive has this to say about the phone app:

"If we determine that the app is being repeatedly paused and we are not collecting enough trip data, you'll need to switch to the plug-in device to keep the benefits of the program."

If you are turning off the phone or the app too often you may be risking your eligibility for the program and any discount that goes with it.

Back