Am I the crazy one??

Gilly

I work at an agency that wants to transform into a call center. Currently there are 3 of us within this "call-center". I started off by selling Medicare and had a crazy open enrollment. Now that it is slowing down they want us to sell life, disability, long term care, travel and indemnity policies (whatever the *** that is)... Not only that but get appointed with multiple carriers for each topic and possibly states. Right now I feel okay with Medicare where I can talk about it and guide people to the correct policy but with all these other products I am getting worried. This is way too much correct? Not to mention I started in the insurance game about 3 years ago selling auto and home insurance. I am just worried that we are marketing ourselves as "experts" and when people call in they expect that. I dont have a clue about any of these other topics. Am I the crazy one in our building or is that way to much to know and handle?

You can only be a master of 2-3 product lines.
Choose your few favorite, focus on those, and let your production speak for itself.
Or, go independent, and choose your own path.
I've found the more you niche, the more you're known as the expert, the more referrals you get. None of that matters if you're not the business owner.

If I understand you correctly I disagree with your assessment of the situation.

To begin with, these additional products you are talking about are not that difficult to understand and master, in fact I would go as far as to say that they are much easier than your Medicare. You say that you had a good open enrollment for Medicare and now it is slowing down. To me, your boss is providing you with additional opportunities to make money.

Your statement (whatever the *** that is) leads me to believe that your knowledge of these products is minimal. So what, these products are easy to master, so give the owner some credit and give it a try.

Life and LTC, on top of medicare policies, are easy and desired. Make sure to stick with the basics. Final Expanse Life, Vanilla LTC, leave the more convoluted products alone until you understand how they work. Indemnity plans are self insurance. You get paid if something goes wrong. go to the ER, get a check. Break a bone, get a check, Get admitted to the hospital, get a check. Get diagnosed with something terrible, get a big check. Medicare is for Seniors. Seniors have money to travel with. Today, travelers need insurance for their vacation plans. Someone gets sick and can't go on the cruise, get paid back. Have fun!!

If I understand you correctly I disagree with your assessment of the situation.

To begin with, these additional products you are talking about are not that difficult to understand and master, in fact I would go as far as to say that they are much easier than your Medicare. You say that you had a good open enrollment for Medicare and now it is slowing down. To me, your boss is providing you with additional opportunities to make money.

Your statement (whatever the *** that is) leads me to believe that your knowledge of these products is minimal. So what, these products are easy to master, so give the owner some credit and give it a try.
No I get what your saying but our agency is different its hard to explain. Our CEO will build relationships with large organizations and groups. He creates these deals where he will say "call our call-center they are experts" and a pipeline will open up and we will get a ton of traffic because we can sell this one product. My head just barely is wrapped around all of these medicare rules. I signed up 250 clients during OEP and that was an absolute shit show. I cannot imagine talking about products and rules and answering questions for all of these other products. I guess I'll just roll with it. If I sound stupid I sound stupid.

Generally I say master one product, focus on it, and become good at it. I agree with Yagents. There are some people that can master several things, but those people are very rare. Usually it's a mess.

All you need to do is say, " I have your information. Let me get some ideas together and call you back" Ask someone in MGMT that knows and get back to your customer

No I get what your saying but our agency is different its hard to explain. Our CEO will build relationships with large organizations and groups. He creates these deals where he will say "call our call-center they are experts" and a pipeline will open up and we will get a ton of traffic because we can sell this one product. My head just barely is wrapped around all of these medicare rules. I signed up 250 clients during OEP and that was an absolute shit show. I cannot imagine talking about products and rules and answering questions for all of these other products. I guess I'll just roll with it. If I sound stupid I sound stupid.

Your not stupid, and I have seen this many, many times since starting my career in 1982. I understand your concern about the use of “expert” as a description of you/the staff. This is nothing new and you would be surprised to find out how many “experts” there are in our industry...if only in their minds. If you are truly uncomfortable,go elsewhere, otherwise see this for what it is...an opportunity to learn and make money.

Call centers know how to develop scripts designed to sell a product and require very little understanding. I have had enough phone jockeys call me over the years and I know they are selling a lot of something to a number of people. They just aren't selling me.

None of these folks come close to being an expert. Some can barely speak English. But either they sell or they move on.

The call center keeps on churning out sales whether you are warming a seat or not.

Take the training because you will have a lot of info jammed into your head that can be useful. Learn about product, how leads are generated, commissions split, vesting, over rides available and generally how the business works. Then walk if your commissions aren't vested.

I aged into Medicare and was door knocked by 2 captive agents. One heard me when I pointed out the problems with captivity. The other didn't.

Back