American Community?

amer community still have that 500 dollar cap on dr visits and labs then apply to ded? agents still running around telling them they have unlimited dr visits? ..... are they still priced above market?

and the answer is......... YEP!!! in texas anyway, sure it is every where else too!!

Last edited:
I've never bothered with AC because of the ridiculous coinsurance that their plans have. Yea, they price out and have some first-dollar benefits on certain things (can't recall the details at the moment), but the coinsurance was outrageous...no wonder they price out so well!

Even though I realize the AM Best ratings are useless, for the most part, many a-client have asked me about how a company is rated and given AC's non-A rating, you're setting yourself up for a harder sale. Basically you'll just be making your job harder because if they ask about ratings, it is something that's important to them. Why create more work for yourself when the product really isn't all that great?

Early on, a friend of mine was writing a lot of it here in Texas. EVERY SINGLE ONE had a paramed and took forever in uw. I understand it's not as bad now, but I wouldn't bother with it. There are too many other good/better choices out there.

getinsurance,
AC's corporate headquartes is in Mich. So what state do you think they are going to be the most competitive in?

I have been doing business with AC 10 years. For really the last 5 years they have fallen out of favor. They had a dumb ass CEO that had no clue how to run a company. They had come out with BS plan designs that were a joke. Now they are somewhat on track.

This year I started writing business with them again in both the individual and small group market. In small group they are real competitive in the under 5 lives. They kicked off a new individual product line where they are competitive in the HSA market and the medalist has some real flexibility on plan design.

They still have some real negatives when it comes to policy issue and a sales force. The sales reps in my state seem not to care or not aware of market conditions.

Where they really shine is on claims. I have pulled off stuff with them that I still don't believe. I was able to get remicaide treatment paid as a injection when its really a infusion. Under the injection the insured only had to pay a co pay. That treatment is $7,000. I have had mutiple nose jobs covered during a deviated septum surgery.

Getinsurance since you are located in Mich. I would think you would want to build repour with your locale carriers.

Back