American Family Insurance?

DLY311

Expert
Hey guys,

Let me be brief I have worked for a mutual captive company for two years and you can guess the challenges that I face. I have an interview with American Family Insurance in order to discuss a position in which I would work under the owner for 2 years and then open my own office. To make it short would American Family be a bad deal? I mean how bad is the P&C side of the biz, I know they sell life also but I imagine that its not competitive or does not have the kind of features that I feel are useful for my clients. Please give me any feedback regarding anyones experience regarding American Family Insurance. I will post more information once I know more.

It really does depends on your location. Each state is a different experience.

Eitherway, they are another Captive company with all the benefits and disadvantages that come with it. American Family is a good company and most there seem happy with it.

BTW- It's my understanding that the actual agent has absolutely no say in who takes over in their offices. It's a corporate decision, and in fact they even have a designated positon for it called the "agent in training" program. You have to be hired by corporateand work in this program for at least 13 months.

Why not work with Statefarm or Allstate? They have a solid reputation and tons of support.

I have an interview with American Family Insurance in order to discuss a position in which I would work under the owner for 2 years and then open my own office.

So after two years do you get to keep any of the business you wrote for that owner? Then what, you start from zero? What every you do get it in writing from you manager. Also you stated that you worked in a captive setting before, why do you want to go back? I went to the independent side about 6 months ago, best thing I could have ever done! AmFam's business model sets you up for failure, it works for them but not for the agent.

Best of luck

Why not work with Statefarm or Allstate?

Because American Family treats their agents better.

Why not work with Statefarm or Allstate?

Because American Family treats their agents better.

That couldnt be further from the truth. Maybe they have changed their ways but i cant tell you how many stories i have heard how they are horrible. If you are going the captive route you cant go wrong with State Farm if.. you can get on.

......If you are going the captive route you cant go wrong with State Farm if.. you can get on.

That may have been a true statement at one time but not today. I wouldn't touch the new SF contract with a ten foot pole.

I would not touch American Family. They are too expensive in most markets. Little support. Their management are all "bean-counters". It's ALL about numbers. I hear from agents I know they are not growing. New customer comes in ...2 leave.:goofy:

It is the agent in training program through corporate, I will work under an agent for 13-24 months and then get my own office but I will take over the guy who retired's book of business. This will be where ever they want to send me within 3 different cities.

Back