American Health Underwriters

B

Blane

Hey everyone,
I am preparing to take my Colorado Life and Health exam, so I am not licensed as of yet, but I received an offer (when I do become licensed)
by an agent representing American Health Underwriters.
He stated he's worked for AFLAC,NAA,MEGA in his first few years, and spun his wheels with them.
He said he'd work with me, show me the ropes to get me going.
Are any of you familiar with this company?
Would it be a good place to start?
I am a Respiratory Therapist, have been for 14 years, so I was thinking with my background it may help me to be good in an area such as this.
Any advice you could offer would be most appreciated.
Best regards,
Blane

There are at least 2 agents on this board who write for World thru AHU. Can't say if they recruit sub-agents or not.

My experience with AHU was not positive. Kris & Barry seem to like them.

Their products seem to be competitive in CO.

What kind of commission is this person offering you? To my knowledge the only major med carrier offered by AHU is World. It is hard to make it only using one carrier.

Blane,

I (Barry), will make sure Kris (K-Dub) sees this post and responds to your questions. He's a straight shooter and will give you the scoop both positive and negative.

PS - Stay out of Denver - that's my turf! LOL, You can have Boulder, the hippie leftovers think universal love and tree hugging will cure everything. I think if they took a bath, it would be a great start.

World and Golden Rule are the two main major meds offered through AHU right now in Colorado. Imerica may become a player again soon, not a big fan of them as of right now though, they will have to win me over.

Blane, the one thing you want to ask yourself is "what kind of training and support am I going to receive?" You can have a killer plan, but if you are not trained and supported what does it matter? I would suggest sitting down and discussing this opportunity to see what you think. It's kind of hard to make a decision based on well....nothing. :)

Good luck!

icon1.gif
American Health Underwriters

I write through AHU, BCBS & World. The commissions are good, they pay half on submission, half on issue. The money is alway there on Friday morning (EFT), it is alway correct. The monthly account is always spot on and on time. They do pay any backends that are due, even if you quit. They also give leads, (Telemarket) 5 per submitted application. Office support is really good. All in all, one of the best outfits I have ever worked for in my 17 years in the business.

Barry and Kris,
Do you find that Boulder is a lame market? I was almost going to move there in 2002. Curious about health insurance sales there. It would seem to be on the more affluent side compared to some areas in Colorado.

Every single appointment I've ever had in Boulder has turned into a sale, and ALL of them are still on the books! If you're going to move to Boulder you've better be ready to get SOLD!! LOL!! It's not a lame market at all when it comes to insurance, it's lame because of all the environmentalists and tree huggers, I swear if you spit out your car window they will be chasing you down ready to beat you down with some organic loaves of bread! I kid you not a riot almost broke loose when Wild Oats announced they were being bought out by by a corporate chain. Funny stuff! Other than that it's a great city!

Barry and Kris,
Do you find that Boulder is a lame market? I was almost going to move there in 2002. Curious about health insurance sales there. It would seem to be on the more affluent side compared to some areas in Colorado.

Boulder would be a wonderful place to live if all you had to consider was the scenery. It is obviously a college town = CU, lots of nice scenery there too!

The problem I have with Boulder is the attitude. It is one of the most anti conservative places in America (except Vermont). The liberal hate mongers seem to have taken it over. The pony tailed shop owners would rather rant about how we need universal health care than listen to anything you have to say about a good individual health plan. I will not even go there anymore unless required to.

I know that I am generalizing, I'm sure there are normal people there as well. If you work the market, you will find success there just like any other place - I'm not willing to work that market due to my values.

I don't want to sound like Mr. Right Wing Neo-Con but thing have gotten out of hand there. I am usually middle of the road and lean to the right from there. It was not all that long ago that I also had the pony tail and full beard but there comes a time when we have to grow up.

I don't know who said it, and I paraphrase:

"Not to be liberal in your youth, means you have no heart. Not to be conservative as you age, means you have never learned anything."

The DNC will be holding their love fest here next summer - this place is going to be crazy!

Like I said, if you are willing to work hard - it could be a great place for you, just like any other place. LOL, maybe I should buy a wig and try going B to B there again. It could be that when I walk in looking like "the man", they cop an immediate negative opinion and I feed it right back or vice a versa. Kris is younger and may have a different opinion but I don't think so.

"Not to be liberal in your youth, means you have no heart. Not to be conservative as you age, means you have never learned anything."

That would be good ole Churchill. I love that quote.

Like I said, if you are willing to work hard - it could be a great place for you, just like any other place. LOL, maybe I should buy a wig and try going B to B there again. It could be that when I walk in looking like "the man", they cop an immediate negative opinion and I feed it right back or vice a versa. Kris is younger and may have a different opinion but I don't think so.

Sounds like CT's sister. I live in MD and you can find all works of life. I also spend a great deal of time up in Stamford,CT. The primary difference, like you indicated, is in the attitude. We go out a lot up in CT and I sadly say that in Stamford....80% of the small business owners are the rudest people I have met. I mean this from a customer standpoint. I will not solicit in that state at all. CO does have it's appeal though, with the exception of the cold weather. Take CO and it;s beauty, throw in temperatures ranging from 50-85 and I'll move in a minute...

Back