American Medical Security

I rarely see this company mentioned in the IH forum and wondered why? Specifically, I wanted to know if anyone has had particularly bad experiences with them or why they may not be used as frequently as some of the companies I see mentioned over and over. AMS has fairly quick processing time for applications and their rate ups for HBP and certain other conditions are the lowest I've seen. Their comp is good and their agent website is excellent.

Any response concerning AMS will be appreciated. Thanks.

ams.jpg

Didn't UHC buy them? I believe very shortly that Golden Rule/AMS/Pacificare/Oxford are all going to re-branded as "United Health One". I participated in a survey for their new logo...

Yes. They have been part of UHC for a couple of years now, but my question concerns why GR and not AMS. It seems odd that they are never mentioned. And one of their CS people told me the other day, that I send them far more apps than anyone in my area. I was more concerned than flattered.

I use AMS in selected areas. And in those areas, their rates are very competitive.

Solid rates in some areas. They adjust rates quarterly, but increases aren't too bad. HSA rates are solid. They include a "discount" dental coverage in all of their policies (Careington).

Before UHC bought them, their team in Indy would visit us two x per year. Nice guys (and gals).

but my question concerns why GR and not AMS. It seems odd that they are never mentioned. And one of their CS people told me the other day, that I send them far more apps than anyone in my area. I was more concerned than flattered.

well when I had some clients getting 17% rate increases and others on the same plan at 75% because they used it pretty much told me this is the company you don't want to get really sick with.......

I understand about the stuff from years ago, and I guess that's what scared a lot of the seasoned agent away. I thought that when they became part of UHC, they would clean their act up. I have a suspicion that they are up to their old tricks and have had some odd complaints about them lately, but I didn't want to prejudice any comments by stating that early on.

I hope that more people who have AMS experience will weigh in on the discussion. Thank you for your comments thus far.

Back