And So It Happened that a Chicago-based Call Center Agency Opened a Branch in Charlotte North Caroli

Oct 19, 2016

1. Vieta

Vieta New Member

And so it happened that a Chicago-based Call Center agency opened a branch in Charlotte North Carolina. And I worked there. Two weeks into sitting around doing almost nothing, among a ship load of licensed Accident & Health agents and plenty who still needed to take the state test, thirty of us who also were licensed for Medicare sales were press-ganged into a Captive Medicare group where we were expected to sell plans that major and minor insurance carriers offered.

In the Captive Medicare group, successful agents could hope to earn up to a $$ commission for each Humana Medicare Advantage plan they sold. That's on top of a base wage of $12 an hour. By the way the commissions in all of the Call Center's groups would start to be paid out at the end of November 2016.

I was locked out of selling major carriers's plans because a previous agency that I signed up to sell with had refused to release me from our interlocking relationships.

Four weeks later, some of us who were in the same predicament were transferred out to a Medicare group that sells policies from a single carrier in one northeastern state. In that state, the carrier had a < 10% market share. P.S., the compensation for selling their Medicare Advantage plans was far less than Captive Medicare's commissions.

The true advantage of working in a Call Center that has over 400 insurance people, including scores of extroverts, is that you hear about numerous job opportunities elsewhere.

And so two weeks later I left and started working elsewhere. If only the company had asked about our previous agencies' contracts. Growing pains or transplanted practices, who knows?

Vieta, Oct 19, 2016
  2. TampaHound

TampaHound Guru

State:
    Florida
    I've worked at Call Centers of one sort of another all my life. I've been a trainer and supervisor in them.

I'm not sure of who you were working with or for (IM me, I be the curious sort) but it sounds like that the Front office got a contract they were not prepared for and didn't have the time or knowledge (or both) to get everything lined up. Their marketing/sales department just saw dollar signs and that's were they started to trip over themselves.

I work for an insurance call center that's well established and they did the same thing last year by opening a dept. without having the back room people set up. Everything went to hell once we started rolling with an ave of 4 or 5 sales per agent per day.